Today's Weather in Your Garden - 19

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is breeding and nesting season for everyone.
Crows and hawks are just defending their territory.
Pitty the Canada Geese when the males chase cars to protect the females lottsa widows this spting on 390 N.
I reserve comment on humans.
Victor will no doubt have a zinger.LOL
Jo Ann

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

52 and overcast and looks like rain this morning.

I am heading out to plant now to try to get some roses in before I leave for a few days. We are suppose to get days of rain.

My carpenter called last night and may have time to build our final wooden fence and gate sooner than he thought he could. This fence will tie into the new deer fence up near the house so we won't have to look at the ugly plastic deer fence and green rusty posts. This is because he can build the panels and gate in his shop during all the rain we may be getting which will screw up his scheduled outside work for the next few days. I am so happy as he was thinking much later in the summer. Here is a collage of the spot.

The fence will connect to the small section I had done last year and will mirror, except that the gate is going to be wider, the fence on the other side of the house which I had built two years ago. It will have one more short 10 foot long panel, then jump up to 8 feet for the last 15 feet or so. I laid it out before having the guys put in the the cedar posts yesterday. I hope I did it right. I need to change all the elevation of the ground next week, but I have my trusty level and shovel. I would love to have no fence, but with the dogs and the deer and rabbits, we must. Patty

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks like the Nantucket I remember.
Looks intimidating to those pesky deer.

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Nantucket is my 2nd favorite place on the planet. But for some reason, I didn't think it had deer on it! How'd they get there??? Swim??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Which is why they have a problem with deer....no place for them to go. They multiply... but the Island does not. We have an Island like that here in Maine, they have let Bow Hunters go in every year and take several deer out. The only problem with that is you need the land owners permission. Some of them will give it, some won't. The ones who won't are the ones my DH and his buddies tell not to crab about the deer eating their crops.

This message was edited May 8, 2008 7:23 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Rain, glorious rain! Now I can plan my nap.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

58 and raining lightly. More tomorrow. Yes - good news, Pirl!

If it happens to stop for awhile I might get those two roses planted that I bought back in March. They're thriving in the bags while the J & P Floribunda is looking for last rites.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cool and cloudy. good day to haunt nurseries.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Damp, but got 9 out of ten roses planted. And the other is going in a container. So I am done for a few days here.

Deer were brought by a summer homeowner from Michigan in the 20's or 30's. We have 80 to 100 in our square mile alone. Hunting is allowed on all the conservation land, public and private which is now close to 50% of the island, but we have trouble with some hunters thinking no one lives here in the winter and you find them in your yard. We need birth control for them and badly. But I do still love seeing them, just not in my garden. I give them nearly 2 acres without anger, but my fenced garden is fighting ground.

Now off to clean up all the mud I just tracked in. I am worse than the dogs. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hate it when i make more of a mess than the pups

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Patti, your photos are so beautiful! I love the photo of your endless stream viewed from above. I also like the photo of the daff entitled 'Juanita' with the tree behind it. Oh, and my must-have daffodil list just grew by a couple dozen. Yup, gotta have those orange double tulips too. Oh, man. I think I gotta have some of those white parrot tulips too. What a gorgeous entire composition your property is, Patti! I paused on all the wide yard views. Just had to take a deep breath and soak in the beauty. I feel like I've visited Patti Park on my lunch break today! Just spectacular! Thank you!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Patti, love your garden and the pics. Well worth all the bulb digging! Love your water feature and of course, seeing the dogs. :))

71 and overcast again. Was sunny for a while before. Today was the first day this year I could use the word 'muggy'. On the bright side, I have some iris about to bloom!

South Hamilton, MA

Showers this morning so did errands in early aftrnoon. Not much weeding afterwards but 2 red amoena seedlings were in bloom, so took pictures & collected pollen, bless their hearts. Still only 2 buds instead of 3. Have to figure out the third one without losing the color. 2 pots of I. pumila were brought in last night. Spent the afternoon on small back porch--want them to open but with heavy rains being predicted they shall come in again this evening. Cornelian cherry has finished flowering so is puting out its leaves.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

The temp has dropped dramatically here. It reached 78 according to the car's thermometer but then the wind blew in and things cooled off. We're supposed to get some rain tonight and tomorrow. Things are still quite dry, since we only had a trace of precip last night. I hope we don't have a deluge, though.

Thomaston, CT

Last report was some areas of CT will get up to 6in. of rain in the next week--but I heard SE CT--hope the rain stays SE! It WAS a muggy day today, Victor---even in Goshen. Am dragging as usual after sitting with HayHay & Anni, but my DIL needs to be with Grant--he is now back at his birth hospital, & I will hold him tomorrow!

That's great, Robin. Savor it!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

rain in the AM then sun shine and 75 the rest of the day!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Temp 65.3°, Wind NNW 2.4 mph, Baro 29.55↑, Rh 55%. ☺

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I lost the post I wrote to this thread.

ROBIN, I'm so happy for all of you. I'm sure you can't wait to hold that little boy and give him a kiss! I'll be thinking of you.

- Lynn

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

42* this AM cloudy w/ a hi of 60* not so great if you ask me.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

When soil temperature gets to and stays above fifty degrees all good things begin to happen. Up to that point we gamble for the honor of the first anything. That is the nature of this gardener anyway. :) I just can't seem to not try and show "MOTHER" I know better than she. It rarely works in my favor.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That's pretty deep Dwaine.
And so true.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Overcast, 45 degrees and waiting for two or more inches of rain to drop on us here this afternoon.

49 and raining.

Sun is still out, cool 42. Today the veggie garden starts to get attacked.

I'm just not a gambler, I guess, doc. I'd rather wait to plant than see anything languish or die.

51, cloudy with lots of rain on the way. Great morning to make a trip to the nurseries and spend time planting my containers either in the garage.

Southeastern, CT(Zone 6a)

Spent the morning (cold and wet) at the "Friends of Harkness" annual plant sale.
I had way too much fun.
50% of proceeds go to maintenance of Harkness Memorial Park. Sale is tomorrow as well.

Gotta go to "plant files" now on a couple.

49 and raining hard. Received a bit over 1/2 inch so far. Great!

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Just gently drizzling here. Watering in all of the transplants I made yesterday. Wish it was a little harder, but maybe later today.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Cloud cover, but not yet raining.
Just saw an Oriole in the tree outside the kitchen window. Went to get camera - he flew away. Camera-shy little bugger!

It feels rather chilly, although it is 58 degrees outside.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it is very damp and chilly feeling

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Glad it's not just me.

My pellet stove is going. My son is always cold! Still raining hard - almost 1 inch now.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rain, rain and more rain 52 degrees

Howell, NJ(Zone 7a)

Same rain as Jen but I'm at 43 degrees.

-Midge

Wind chill (hard to believe it) is 44. I braved the rain to go to nurseries but one was closed and the other didn't have the flats out yet. Maybe next week I'll be more fortunate.

South Hamilton, MA

Drizzle & cold. Just enough to slow opening of iris flowers and wreck the pollen on the flowers.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

It's raining and cold here with some wind blowing my new magnolia around. The phone rang (which I expected) The vet was calling (which I expected) to report on Dexter's surgery for his torn ACL. But it wasn't his ACL it's bone cancer, so they're amputating his leg and with chemo I might have another year with him. It has suddenly become much colder round here and the rain coming from my eyes just might flood all of NJ. I'm not even sure why I posted this cept that the NE forum rocks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.