May Daily Weather 2008,....Brings May Flowers!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Bright Beautiful Morning All.
We are having warm-up here.
59.4 °F / 15.2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
Is 37'11" the height of the weather station?
or the ground above sea level?
Please come by often and post your daily weather and your inspiring great pictures.
My guess is 19º.
These are ready for planting.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! It's a beautiful day here, too. I'm actually having to water the fern bed.. that doesn't happen to often around here! The rest of the beds don't need it yet, but if it doesn't rain this weekend, I'll be running the sprinkler next week. I need to do some serious weeding out there, too. We haven't bought mulch yet, and the weeds are running amok. It's time to get them under some semblance of control!

I'm guessing B, Joey.

Your photo is gorgeous, Sidney!! ^_^ I'm guessing that the 37 feet (which = 11 meters) is the ground above sea level. We're at about 80 feet here.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (11 min ago)
Temperature 76 °F 24 °C
Dew Point 68 °F 20 °C
Humidity 76%
Pressure 29.81 in 1009.6 mb
Wind Speed 14 MPH 12 kts
Wind Dir S 190°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 79 °F 26 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 66.9°F / 19.4°C

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D We have a temp of 51° & the sun is out & Glorious! :D It's supposed to get into the uppper 70's! :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 55°F
Feels like: 55°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 45°
Humidity: 67%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:27 AM
Sunset: 8:13 PM

Sidney! What a wonderful way to start a new day & month! :D Those are so pretty! Will you be planting them today?
Thanks Sharon, 35'! Does your DH have a truck? If not...then he will need another 'play toy'! LOL
Thanks Kiska, I don't do anything with the Violets. I just watch them grow! :D One year a few of them 'rebloomed'; the second blooming they were white!
Ric, Glad the 'freeze' wasn't as bad as expected. I can't imagine what you did w/ all of your potted plants! Did some of them go into the hot tub shelter?
Thanks Marsue, Looks as if you (along w/ everyone else) had a wonderful day! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
The correct answer is 'd'. On January 22 1943, the temperature at Spearfish, South Dakota rose from minus 4°F at 7.30am to 45°F at 7.32 am (a 49°F rise in just 2 minutes!).

Todays trivia is...
What is the driest place on Earth?
a) Wadi Halfa, Sudan
b) Death Valley, US
c) Moscow, Russia
d) Mexico City, Mexico

Have a Glorious day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney: it sure looks like you have a lot of pretty plants to plant. You are going to be busy!
Sharon: Is that trailer for loading up your "must have" stuff in case you have to evacuate due to a hurricane?
Kiska: I was just about to brag about our almost 14 hour day when I saw your post about your daylight hours! LOL
Joey: This is strictly a guess: "A" for the trivia. Interesting photo--Is that a green caterpillar or just a rolled up leaf?
Marylyn: I'll be happy to share some of our ground moisture with you--LOL.

Today it is overcast with a 10% chance of rain, increasing to 20% in the evening hours. Current temp is 67º with a high of 80 predicted. Should be a good day to get out and do some clean up in the gardens, check the roses for black spot, etc.
Here's a ruby-throated hummingbird this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The hummer was feeding on a Flamenco Torch Lily. Here's another shot:

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

B-Death Valley, USA

Mau, those hummers are adorable. aren't they? We haven't seen any yet.

A trace of snow and hail last night. No biggie.

34°F
Feels like: 30°F

Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 26°
Humidity: 72%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 5 mph
Sunrise: 6:25 AM
Sunset: 8:24 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Been outside grooming the roses. Our wet spring has played havoc with them--black spot! I have to check them every day. The Knock-outs and Sunsprites seem to be the least affected. Poor Don Juan and Velvet Toreador have been practically stripped naked in my effort to get rid of the black spot, but they are making a pretty good come back. I bought some corn meal and put some around the base of each rose. That is supposed to help. Supposed to rain again tomorrow, though.

Currently 71º, cloudy and somewhat windy.

Celia: Kitty had to cover up his eyes--he seems to be saying: "It's too bright in here. Turn off the light.!" LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hey, guys, I'm baaaack! I've been on a trip to the seaside for Easter. We celebrated Easter on Sunday and we went to Golden Sands resort, in Bulgaria. I'll get back to you tomorrow to post more pics. I worked yesterday and today we went to the house for some cleaning.
The hotel was great, amasing !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

And more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, Adina! that is a beautiful resort! It certainly looks as if you and Kiska have both had good vacations recently!

(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! I'm coming with you next time! LOL

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

kiska, what a lot of daylight hours you have!!!
We are in a cold spell also. - Didn't get above 53 deg. today. Cloudy and overcast all day and then sunshine at 5 PM. Absolutely great digging weather.

Sugar, your plants really look great. I've got to get back to the greenhouse as she really has some nice coleus this year. (it's an every other year thing with her).
The original three have increased to 17 nice well rooted new plants.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Warm, sunny, nice. Lawn tractor is broke so I cut the front yard with an electric weed eater, worked well but I am having trouble moving my left arm now.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – What a pretty picture you posted! That’s a good question. WX shows us at an elevation of 20’/6m, but there is no way we’re 20’ above sea level. Unless sea level is calculated in a different manner?
Marylyn – You have to water?! I thought you and Marsue were getting all the rain! LOL!
I have a lot of weeding to do too, my least favorite of lawn duty.
Joey – We have a Colorado that will pull Bertha4 a/k/a “the beast”. My BIL hooked it up to his truck a Dodge 1ton Dually Diesel (?), now Jeff wants one of those too. I have to laugh! The pull behind is 2’ longer than Bertha2 (motorhome) was. OMG…it’s huge LOL!! I’m clueless on the trivia, sounds like a trick question! Going with A.
Marsue – Jeff does this every year. Buys a motorhome or pull behind for hurricane season, repairs it then sells it. We’re 4 motorhomes/pull behinds for 4 years, it’s exhausting! We like to have an “escape pod” during hurricane season just in case. Guess he thought we really need something big to carry the 4 of us, 4 pets, my new coffee table and all my plants! LOL! Great pics of the hummingbird! They are so cute. I really need to get my feeders out this weekend.
Celia – What is your baby’s name? Just adorable! Boo sleeps like that sometimes.
Marsue – Your roses are still beautiful!
Adina – Make thata a 3rd WOW! That’s a beautiful resort! I’m coming over with Celia!
Dyson – LOL! I’m cracking up! Sounds like a great day to weed whack!
Joey - How do you calculate sea level?

75.0 °F / 23 °C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 46 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the SE
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Clear....then increasing high clouds. Low 61. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Here's Bertha4 or "The Beast"...front

Thumbnail by MySharona

Back

Thumbnail by MySharona

Latest bloom

Thumbnail by MySharona
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful hotel, Adina.

What happened to our guy from Russia?

I'll pick A for the trivia question. Death Valley averages 2 inches of rain a year. I would imagine that some place in the Sahara is drier than that.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 01, 2008
75 °F / 24 °C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE

The epiphyllums are blooming - Maureen Davis

Thumbnail by Kelli

Roman Holiday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Sunset Boulevard

Thumbnail by Kelli

Are those night bloomers Kelli?
Adina, What a place! Good to hear from you.
Dyson, be gentle on yourself.
Sharon the only difference is the size of their toys!
;)

They're day bloomers. They might initially open at night, but they stay open all day and for a couple days.

a couple more goodies from the yard

red hot poker

Thumbnail by Kelli

Victoria Falls - iris season is just about over now

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot, humid and there are possible tornadoes in KS and northern MO. West and north of me. They will not hit me. They are going northeast.

Stay safe, Pepper. Do you have a cellar?

amaryllis "Charisma"

Thumbnail by Kelli

amaryllis whose label got lost

Thumbnail by Kelli

We have a basement but the tornadoes aren't near me. They are over an hour west of me and a ways north of here near Plattsburg. So for most of the night we should be ok. It's the other storms that we have to worry about.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Glad you are safe, pepper. Sure hope those storms don't spawn any tornadoes anywhere!
Me, too, Adina! I'm coming over with Sharon and Celia! LOL
Sharon and Kelli: gorgeous amaryllis and also your epiphyllums, Kelli.
Bertha 4 is really nice, Sharon.
Dyson: hope you work the soreness out of your arm soon!

Tonight: Partly cloudy and windy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Low 66F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Tomorrow: Variable clouds and windy with strong thunderstorms. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. High 77F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
Want some of our rain, anyone? Help yourself--you are welcome to it!

I discovered this today in a forgotten spot in my yard. (You can tell it's forgotten by the weeds.) How can you forget something this pretty?

Thumbnail by marsue

At least one confirmed touchdown earlier awhile ago. The rest were disorganized and and didn't do much.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hope the one that touched down didn't do much damage to people or property!

"disorganized and didn't do much" - Sounds like me.

No damage so far from what reports are saying. Tomorrow they might find minor damage when the sun is still up but that should be it.

LOL Kelli, sounds like me too!!!

Is that a Siberian iris, Marsue? I used to have some blue ones but they died gradually out. I think it's too alkaline here for them.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The DGer who gave it to me said she thought it was a Louisiana iris--name of Henry
Rowland but the ID marker on it either got lost or she didn't have it ID'd at all. Anyway, when her Henry Rowland blooms we are going to compare photographs of the two and see if we can ID it that way. If not, then I will post it on the ID thread.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue: I spotted the first Ruby Throat of the season a couple of days ago. Snuck up on my while I was watering. I was so surprised, I forgot to take a pic!
Adina: Looks like a great resort. Was it warm enough to swim?
Dyson: Big yard?
Kelli: I love the color on that Roman Holiday!
Pepper: So glad you didn't get the tornado!
Sidney: Your plants look very happy! Is that "Gold Giant" there?

Currently, clear and 73. Expecting low 80s and sunny tomorrow.
Deb

(Zone 3b)

Cloudy with scattered rain and snow showers.
Lows in the lower to mid 30s. East wind 5 to 20 mph.
50 degrees late today, the normal is 55.
Sunrise: 5:43 Sets: 10:95 gain of 5m40seconds.
Sugarweed~Can't wait to see them planted. Very pretty.
Marsue~ the long days will get much longer ~ Has is rained as predicted? Love the hummingbird pic.
M2Keep~ did it get up to the 70's? Cap/Gown; wow; you've done so well and look forward to the photos of your success. Interesting that the violets turned white in the following year.
MySharona~The Beast looks good; bring her on up:) Look forward to seeing you this summer.
kwanjin~how cute; so cozy all curled up in the basket.
pepper~Glad you'll be out of the path ~ must be a nerve-wracking experience; not mention how dangerous they are.
Kelli~the blossoms are so pretty; I really liked the Victoria falls and Sunset Blvd.
se_eds~as days are gaining more than 5min/day; it doesn't take long for the hours to add up to 24 hr light. Stand back and watch the plants grow w/non stop light.
Marylynn~bet the mulch does a lot to keep the weeds at bay; weeding is a real pain.
Adina~oh wow~~~what a beautiful resort; looks like you were in a great vacation location.
Dyson~Sounds like quite a workout~
hi Deb.
Tree in the desert ~ loved the twisted trunk; sorry, don't know what it is.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Got luck this evening Pepper!!!
We were supposed to be getting Storms but it all Fizzled out.
Mid 70's today...upper 70's tomorrow.

The Hummers are around but not here in our yard yet.
But the Columbines JUST started blooming.
That's what the follow North so....

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Lots of sun this afternoon but it was still cold. Snow this morning and sun later.

Kitties name is Monty, Monty Python, Monty the Hut, Fat Boy, Big Guy...whatever he looks like at the moment. LOL

Sharon, get your swimsuit! We're headed out the door! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

That cat is just too cool.
;)

(Zone 7a)

"I has measured my life with coffee spoons..."

This message was edited May 2, 2008 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.