Sweet Potato Slips Ready, NEED HELP!

Gainesville, FL

The sweet potatos on tooth picks in glass have now become full of slips and have nice bushy tops.

I forgot what forum we were on about sweet Potatos. And from what I remember we should plant them on level ground ,then start adding soil until they are hilled ,[ Not ready for straw or garbage can yet] .I have double dug the area 3x12 raised bed ,just dug it today for these potatos.

Will really appreciate any info or ideas .Thanks

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

On a 3x12 bed, you have room for a single row of plants. I prefer to plant on a list 3-4 inches above level. In your case I would suggest pulling enough soil to center so that the middle is a bove 3-4 inches higher. Depending on soil fertility, set the plants down the middle at 12-16 inch intervals. Put them in deep so that only about 2 inches or less of the plant is above soil level. Water and keep the weeds down till the vines take over and you should be free till harvest. In sandy or loose soil, they will grow fine planted level, but have a tendency to set potatoes outside the " hill". Listing helps keep them under the main stem.

Gainesville, FL

Thanks Farmer.

The plants are about a foot tall now. We put in glass jar under water and there are lots of roots and above.About a dozen or more slips, so will probably have enough for the small raised bed.

Soil is sandy in this new bed .It has not had any ammendants added, except ashes from oaks,cherry trees we cut down.

I put the fish emulsion on the corn as you advised .It seems to look better already .But I fear it may be too late. I may put new seed in the trenches betwee the hills.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.