coffee grounds and worms

Cave Creek, AZ

I'm new at this. I have a friend in the city that uses just coffee grounds and feeeds her worms with it. They make castings for her. She does put in her green kitchen waste products. Has anyone done this too? She said they could just eat the coffee grounds.
Mickeyaz

Detroit, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Mickey, it's ok to feed worms some coffee grounds, but they are basically nutritionally devoid and won't make good castings. They should be only a small portion of what worms are fed. There has been a fair bit of prior discussion in this forum about coffee grounds (and worm food in genaral)- maybe try some word searches in this forum and see what comes up for you.

Superior, MT

If you've ever had any questions about using coffee grounds with your worms and how many to add if you do use them, here's a study you might check out:

http://soilandmulchproducernews.com/archives/57-julyaugust-2009/126-vermicomposting-with-spent-coffee-grounds

Coffee grounds will heat up when they are moist and may get too hot for your worms. When I use coffee grounds, I make sure that I mix them with moist bedding and /or vegie scraps and let them sit until they've cooled down--mixing them every now & then (kind of like a compost pile)

Helena, MT

Dito on above Mick. I use coffee grounds in potting up mixes and when I'm not potting up I toss a large spoonful in the blended worm food. The idea is to add some N to the castings mainly. I was told years ago by a commercial worm farmer that he would not feed coffee grounds to his worms for any reason. However, postings in the past couple of years in this forum mention feeding coffee grounds quite frequrently. But like our two friends have mentioned above, there is little value food wise for your worms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.