Should I still have hope?

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello, I got this Hydrangea to root last Sept. It put out a set of leaves and a lot of roots, I planted it on the ground sometime In November; mulched it and covered it with a large glass jar for the winter. I uncovered a few weeks ago, and this is what still looks like.
As you can see there is some green at the lower part of the tiny cane. Can I have hopes that there is life and roots somewhere down there?
Thanks a bunch!

~Dulcigarden

Thumbnail by Dulcigarden
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Anytime there's green there's still hope!

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks ecrane, I need hope. :~)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I had one (a variegated leafed variety) that looked like that last summer, and by fall lo and behold it had put up a little tuft of leaves! I potted it up, and it overwintered OK. It's tiny, but it's not dead!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Huh! So, should I go rescue the florist's hydrangea that I got for Christmas, tossed in the compost bin in March, and just found growing sideways and putting out new leaves?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes! The warmth of the compost worked it's magic.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know, I was sure my Annabelle was dead. Everything had leafed out at least a little. The Annabelle, new last fall, had one stalk that looked totally dead. After mentally writing it off, I went out today and dug around in the mulch and found a nice white stalk coming up from the roots that was tinged yellow. I believe the plant made it! It was slow because it was in the shadow of some tall trees to the south of it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's wonderful news.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

That sure is good news, was your stalk as tiny as mine?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It was different from yours. It was skinnier and was very white with only a touch of green. It had been under the mulch and had seen no sun. It is still only about 2 inches high. Yours looks as if it has had some sun -- with the green on the bottom of the stalk. I pulled the mulch back a little bit so it could get a little sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.