Question

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Does Orchids Have to be Pot Bound to Bloom? Paul

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

No.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Paul

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That was cute. Two guys and a question :).

Laurel

Guys aren't much into yakking, unless we're trying to be friendly with a lass!

:)

You think I need an education here with three guys in the house and 37 years of marriage? Grunt once for yes. Dead silence for no.

Laurel

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL! :-)

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

I'm still chuckling at "lass"!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Women Waste Words

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Laurel, that's a pretty accurate description! My DH is a talker, but my sons, not so much unless I'm trapped in a car with one of them!

LOL! "Grunt"! "Ugg, me want food!"

Uh, OK Tommy, but you'll have to hop a plane. Favorites?

GUYS ARE LITERAL TOO!

Laurel

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The one major difference..........gal will make three trips to the mall to save three dollars and check back for an other one they wanted after the sale is off.

A guy will pay retail right now when he wants it, for both, and be done with it in one trip. That way he figures a brew is due reward for all the travel time saved.

True to that Doc, but the guy will come home from retailing and drink a PBR. The gal will hold out for a hefeweizen micro brew imported from Belgium. The savings at the mall are a mute point and really all about the "sport" of shopping for some (not me though :>).

Laurel

Most of my shopping is now done on line. My legs will not stand up to the hard walkways and byways at the malls. The mall is twenty miles out there and costs me a lunch for three when on occasion the grandson and wife go along. I put up with it but do not like malls period.

I used to love the mall about 20 years ago, but now if you've seen one, you've seen them all. I've become a destination shopper and prefer to shop solo so I can do a marathon. It helps to know who has what and the usual cost of things so if you can catch a sale....score! Since getting my laptop, I've also become an on-line shopper, but there is nothing like being able to see, touch and compare products and plants! With gas prices in the stratosphere, my shopping locally has come to a screeching halt. Many on-line retailers are offering reduced or free shipping and if there's a sale, even better. You just have to know the merchandise and hope that the return policy is good. - Lynn

Phicks is a man of few words!!! LOL Lorine

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup

Actually, compared to Tommy, he's gabby.

Laurel

LOL!

But we must concede...as little as we know about Tommy, he has an amiable disposition (LOL).

Laurel

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi Y"all; Laurel, I don't know how much you know about Tommy,but I wonder if you know what kind of an orchid I just bought? It's a Wal-Mart special. I'm new to orchids so If I see a pretty one I buy it. This one is pretty & has no name. My pretty orchid has a spike 15" long & has very pretty purple & pink flowers on it. That is purple on one side of the flower & pink on the other. The stem from which the spike is growing is 13" long. There are 3 other stems of various sizes. I did make a serious mistake & repotted it because there was only a small amount of charcoal in the pot. afterward I found out that you should never repot a blooming orchid.I hope I haven't killed my pretty orchid. Can anyone out there tell me what I have here? If you ncan I would be very grateful! Thank y'all. Have a good evening.

Hi Mommie. Congrats on your new 'chid. Sounds pretty. We would have to see a picture of your orchid to give it a name. Dendrobium and Phalaenopsis are the most common orchids at Walmart here. Why not look these up on line and see if one or the other resembles your orchid. Library books are a great way to learn the basic orchid types and their care.

Tommy must be an easy going guy as he lol's frequently (and I mean that in the nicest way Tommy) :).

Laurel

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Laurel. So you think I should go to the library & get a book? Why would I do that when there are so many experts on the Orchid Forum. That's why I joined Dave's Garden to begin with. I don't have one of those fancy cameras. Got no money. I'm an old lady on S/S. Can't buy one of those cameras. I'm just trying to start a new hobby. There are a lot of us Newbies & we need a little help now & then. I believe there are a lot of orchid snobs on this forum & I for one will not be using it any more. It's pretty sad when you take up a whole thread that should be devoted to orchids & just banter back & forth about silly things.

Hey mommie...............if your desire is so weak or you are so uninterested to work with the very nice response Laurel gave you I have a suggestion based on your promise to leave the site. "Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Wow! This sounds a lot like another site where I'm a member. The people (newbies) there tried to have me identify which orchid they have by telling me the color of the blossoms. I had to lead them through the very general questions related to leaves, pseudobulbs (or lack thereof), etc., to the general care of their new plants. They were very gracious when I suggested they buy a good beginners book, although I suspect none of them did. At least one took her plant to the nursery where it was purchased to see what she had, since it was a gift. Many people don't know where to begin.

When I first was bitten by the orchid bug, I did as much research as I could by browsing through the excellent books at the book stores and then bought so I would always have a reference. It is a good investment if you are serious about your new hobby. I think Laurel's advice was good, too.

And the friendly banter is just that - friendly banter, since we see each other on some of the other threads and forums. If things get off topic, it's easy to just post whatever things you'd like, to bring the conversation back to topic. By the way, some of the best information I've ever received came from reading through a thread with off-topic discussion. Most of the posters on DG are respectful about being off-topic, and will send Dmail to continue their private discussions. This is definitely one of the better forums and the people are so nice, as well

This message was edited May 30, 2008 10:00 AM

I was simply suggesting that you do what I do when I want information because I am not an expert (or a snob).

Laurel

I didn't have a digital camera until a few weeks ago when my son loaned me one of his. Until then, I had to do it the old fashioned way and look through the plants pictured on-line or in books. It certainly is a lot easier when you can post a pic, but there are other solutions. Other orchid sites would respond the same way. I have yet to meet a snob on DG, but I have met some real characters!

No expert here either. I thought this was a really good way to see what others are doing, and am happy with the response.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.