Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

White columbine

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Pretty color

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

These are all interbred and I never know what they will be like.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 3:23 PM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 3:24 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

These are a cross with Nora Barlow

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Same with this one.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Last one.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Pat - I love the pink you're getting in your columbine. We should really plan to have a virtual columbine competition next year and have everybody plan to document (and maybe name) their hybrids - just for fun.

I hadn't really thought about how much variety there was out there.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That would probably be fun although I'm not very imagintive. They are certainly different than they were a few years. I've had the natives and hybrids and the barlow's and they are all mixed up.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Great pics Willow, but where did you get that Hell. just love it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Bought it somewhere local last year. OF COURSE I don't remember.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

OMG Willow...I just LOVE the columbine! All of them! Once my Nora Barlows and McKanas are established, I am going to mix them up a bit and see what happens. I'll have to document each one at first then see how they mutate.

Kathy, I really like the idea of a virtual competition...could produce some very interesting results!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sheri - guess who's blooming and who is a McKana hybrid? or mostly so. Doesn't, at any rate, show much Nora Barlow. Peach and Pink and in the form of the McKana Giant.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Sheri - do you want some mature Columbine? I can give you PLENTY. Crosses of Nora Barlow with McKanas, and some that march to a different drum... Blues, purples, plums, pink bi-color. Let me know, and i will dig up the roots for you. Sturdy puppies they are.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Kathy ~ Oooh, I'm so happy they're blooming! At my last check, 3 McKanas are blooming and several Noras as well. It's been raining here quite a bit so I haven't gone for a walk but I'll check again today. Love to see a picture of it!

Katye ~ Yes. Would LOVE some. Any of it. I love it. Thanks.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I just don't get home until 6:30 and then it's all about the dogs and cats. I charged up my camera last night and hope to get some yard and garden pictures this weekend around my folks' visit. I just hope the rain doesn't do them in before I can get a good pic.

I saw Kate's menagerie last weekend - she does have a real variety.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Good Rainy Morning to everyone. This is my dwarf varigated weigela.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is one of the five types of Iris I now have.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Second kind

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Third kind

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

fourth kind and five is a white with a violet fall that isn't showing this year. But I just ordered 24 new kinds on the co-op sale and I can hardly wait until next year. I will share some with the plant sale and some with my daughter.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Blue Oat grass. My favorite grass

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Poulsbo, WA

wow, your property looks like a well-maintained city park!
How invasive is the oat grass?
Oh, and when is the plant sale?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That grass is the 12th fairway at Alderbrook golf course. It is well maintained, my yard not so much. I have never had a start off of the blue oat grass and to maintain you just lightly pull on the dead grass and it comes off. No cutting back and it never looks awful. Our plant sale is in May, it was just over for this year. Time to start for next year.

Poulsbo, WA

Golf course, of course. I thought you were setting a new level of pristine for us to attain to. ;)
I, for one, was just going to crawl under a rock and drown.
Oh, darn, how did I miss the plant sale?
Well, I'll just have to give them away now, because I can't keep them all.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think I will try to start seeds of the Oat Grass and see what happens.

(Zone 7a)

I would like to know how that turns out, as well. Keep us posted.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

If I have any luck I will post it.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

The oat grass is clump forming, right? I really like it a lot, too. I like the color and texture and it's pretty easy to take care of.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Right, my clump is about 2' around and the seeds are about 3' high

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is a nice non-spreading geranium also. With white allium moly.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 3:59 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Another purple rhody, Flora Pleno

This message was edited Jun 7, 2008 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

So, Patricia, they are using blue oat grass at the library I pass every day while walking to the bus. There are taller, greener blades of grass coming up in the center and going to seed. Is that the blue oat grass or is there something else in there? I don't think I've ever seen mine do that.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Duh em, I don't know. Would need to look at it.^_^

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

So it sounds like yours hasn't ever done that. That's two of us, then. Maybe I'll have to dig down a little bit one day and see what's going on.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Kathy - I have loads of Blue Oatgrass, and mine stays fairly blue. But the flower stalks are a bit more green, and come from the center.

Thumbnail by Katye
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mystery solved!! They few I have don't do that. Guessing it's because of my limited sun. Thanks, Kate. Great picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.