Spring Blooms - Part 6

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/838738/

The photos tend to slow things down for the dial-up people so I try to limit it to 300 posts.

Same as always - spring beauties - foliage or blooms.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very pretty

Thanks - forgot to say that it is my Mohawk viburnum. Smells fantastic!

Northeast Harbor, ME

Not much up here. Pussy willows have just gone by and the scilla is out now but very little forsythia. Narcissus 'Rip Van Winkle' looks great now though. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a very early, low, triple daffodil!

(Zone 4a)

Ha! So far all I have is 1 count that - 1 open daff!!! That is it!!! Sorry I wish I had more to post about but it has been ccccold here the last few days - I hope the rest of my daffs and tulips make it! Eeeks!! However once things start a blooming I will be a posting!!!

Do you grow any clematis, Dawn?

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

The yellow flowering perennial...I have know idea what it is. I went through my shoeboxes of ID tags, and can't find it...after I rake in some new mulch, I'll check and see if I by chance buried it under some mulch. It's a nice clumper. That particular perennial was bougt in a 3" pot 2 seasons ago!

Victor-This Dirr book is going to cost me money! lol. To fill in the bed that I'm creating I want to, eventually, not have to look at my neighbors. I have a list going of small/medium trees and shrubs. I want to run them by you, or for that matter, the rest of the NE forum:

Amorpha, Aralia, Aronia, Asimina triloba, Callicarpa (not sure what one), Cercidiphylum 'Pendulum', Clethra (preferably a smaller cult. like 'Hummingbird' or '16 Candles), Disanthus, Enkianthus, or Rosa rubrifolia(R. glauca).

So far, the order that I've put together is a toss up between another Forest Farm order, and a first time Fairweather order...very tentative! Most, if not all of these plants will be in the back of the border...for the most part.

I have - and like - Asimina (Paw Paw), Callicarpa - a few different ones, C. Pendula (in a pot) and a few Clethra, including Rosea, Hummingbird and Sixteen Candles (very nice). I love Clethra's fragrance and they grow from full sun to pretty good shade and will grow in very wet areas. I have one Aralia, but don't know the name. You might want to consider Itea, Fothergilla, Enkianthus, Aesculus parviflora for part shade, sweet fern, sumac Tiger Eyes. (I could go on and on!)

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow Victor, that viburnum is so beautiful! At first glance it reminded me of apple blossoms! Linda

Thanks Linda. It is a slow grower, but is over five feet tall now and full of blooms. This is a bit blurry.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very impressive! I am sure a real treat after your long winter.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

loved the pics hemhosta, especially the muscari and daffodil.

I have some of the dicentra formosana..... somewhere..... i'll have to take a look around for it and see what it is doing.

Good luck Dawn. Hopefully it warms up very soon for you. at elast there is one daffodil!---at least it's a sign of something.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks pretty whatever it is Thom

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

My mom taking flowers from the yard to her twin sister who is in rehab. The twins turn 89 next month.

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's my prettiest spot right now.

WOW! Pretty bouquet! ( pretty lady, too)

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 10:42 PM

Thumbnail by fragrance1st
Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

Dafs in front of my pool. Easter bonnet, I think.

Thumbnail by fragrance1st
Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

nice viburnum victor- they smell amazing-

wasn't the little yellow flower basket of gold??- the shorter variety whose name i can't remember. Aurinia something or other.

here's pink drumstick primrose- I've been happy to find they seem to like most any soil.... i had thought they needed especially moist soil

Thumbnail by sjms
Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

ooh- nice bouquet, david, and wonderful mom.
love the daffs, ff

beautiful bouqet David as well as beautiful Daff's France1st.

I can't remember what the hosta is at the moment. I'll have to look on the tag.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I know we've already seen the bleeding heart, but I just loved the look of it this evenging with the sun on it, after many hours of cold rain today.

Thumbnail by redchic01

New growth on rhody's is always so interesting.

Thumbnail by redchic01

A witches broom on my camellia. I soooo hope to get some cutting going of it.

Thumbnail by redchic01

a closer look at it.

Thumbnail by redchic01

magnolia sunsplash looking up at me.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice pictures everyone!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Ditto, I enjoyed all the pics.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I like Camellia and would love to find a spot in the yard for one.

Victor - I have that dicentra. It seems to be slowing down each year, but did real well in the beginning. I'm wondering if the afternoon sun is too much for it. I might have to move it this year. Is your Viburnum fragrant? I planted one this spring. It's a leatherleaf.

Mom has a beautiful smile David.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I'm not up on these technical names of plants. But we do have a bleeding heart (pink) that Marilyn DW transplanted to a new bed that we put in last year. It did well last year, flowering off and on most of the summer. This year it is off to a great start, very bushy, about the size of a bushel basket, with a goodly amount of flowers. I guess it must be located in the right conditions and light for its doing real good.
Maybe I'll call it the "pink bleeding dogwalkerest bush-a-folium"
How about that mouthfull Victor?
Chuck

This message was edited Apr 30, 2008 7:30 AM

Great photos. Wonderful mom pic, David! Wish her a happy birthday next month. Anita - that viburnum - Mohawk - is very fragrant. Leatherleaf is not. I have to keep an eye on my formosa bleeding hearts this year since I lost the part shade they used to enjoy. Great name, Chuck!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Some blooms from this AM - My Bleeding heart is very happy!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Tulips

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Lilac buds

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Wow you all have been busy overnight and this am. All this spring bounty is very impressive. Beautiful pics and flowers.
I have two different fern leaf bleeding hearts. One in part sun and the others are under an oak tree. One cultivar I think is 'King of Hearts' blooms all spring, summer and into fall. The other nid blooms only spring to early summer and sometimes a bit more in the fall. Have lilac buds here also, it is early for them isn't it?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lovely photos everyone! I'm always one of the last to have blooms so I enjoy everyone else, keep them coming please!!

Very nice, Anita! Here is Kerria japonica.

Crape myrtle leafing out.

Neighbor's dogwood.

New growth on Norway spruce.

'Shasta' viburnum. This will be absolutely covered in white in a couple of weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.