Chinese Mantid (Tenodera aridifolia)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Thumbnail by grow4me2

Do you have these guys in culture? If so, are they easy to rear? Nice photo, what camera did you use, may I ask?

Joseph

This was our first summer and fall in a new location and we were practically overrun with these mantids. They were everywhere including lingering on and above doors which made leaving the house a little more exciting. (They flew at us, dropped on us and generally threatened to get tangled in hair.) We do not have any experience with keeping them indoors. The digital camera was a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9. This photo was taken at night with flash. The two were on a dog pen fence. Thank you for inquiring.

Have you seen this cartoon at Dave's Garden: "Bob discovers what happens when one hatches far more preying mantis than there is available food for them in the garden" http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/44499/

Most excellent photo indeed...I have a Sony DSC-H5 and really enjoy it. Thanks for the info on the wild population you have in your yard, you must have a Garden of Eden for them. I have in culture a mantid and am enjoying rearing them. I even got an egg case from the lone female. She produced one about 2 weeks after she snarfed the male who was brave enough to engage her to be fruitful and multiply. All that was left were his wings, poor fella. I have to say I laughed for a long time when I saw that cartoon, had to switch to another page when my child wandered over to see what was so funny! LOL

How interesting! An egg case and the remains of the brave, but unfortunate, male. Mother Nature isn't for the weak hearted. We haven't tried rearing anything beyond 3 types of hummingbird moths. I bet you have more interesting information across Dave's Garden. I'll be watching! We are always looking for new things to try now that OUR kids have moved on and married. New ideas for grandchildren. Thanks.

If you want to learn more about rearing insects, try frequenting Insect Geeks web site (www.insectgeeks.com). I learn a lot from the avid hobbyists who post information there. I also have some Madagascar hissing cockroaches and Green Banana cockroaches in culture. So far no escapees so we're happy. LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Such a cool photo! Love looking at it!

Wake Forest, NC

That is not a Chinese Mantis. Those two mantids are Stagmomantis limbata because I think I can see a white dot on the female's wings. And the male has a green strip.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.