Buyer BEWARE!

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

In my job we eat, sleep, and live "customer service." I can usually understand all the things that people in my positon go through and have to put up with. Having said this I am compelled to bring to the folks on Northeast Gardening the following sad experience i had with Hirt's. I have done business with them before and didn't expect this treatment.

I ordered a Monkshood from Hirts through Ebay. Made my payment right away. Plant arrived about a week later. It was in a very small box filled with those white peanuts. When I took the plant out I found that it was damaged. The stock was about 5 inchs long but was bent and broken about 1 inch from the soil. When I called they told me to take a picture of the damaged plant and email it to them. I guess they didn't trust me over a $7.00 plant. I took the picture and emailed it along with the invoice. About 2 days later I got an email back that said, "just cut the stem below the damage, it will grow back".
That was it!
No, "sorry sir about the damage"
No, "we will be glad to replace that plant for you".
No, "we'll be glad to refund your money sir".
All I got was CUT OFF THE DAMAGE.
If this is their idea of customer service, I don't know how they stay in business.
There are too many other places to buy my plants and spend my money then with someone who plainly shows that they really don't care.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.
Chuck

Go through the dispute process. Its a pain but 7 bucks is 7 bucks and maybe it will wake them up.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

To me it would be really the principle that is more important.Yes $ 7.00 is $ 7.00 but customer satisfaction/service should be FIRST !

Chuck which Monkshood did you get ? I love those and have 3 coming up I planted last year.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

The transaction was not for a bent or broken plant. I would pursue it just to teach them a lesson.

Southeastern, CT(Zone 6a)

Don't forget to leave negative feedback. I always read an Ebay seller's feedback before buying from them.
I agree 100% that customer service is priority.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Please don't think that I just posted this without an effort to resolve the issue. I spoke live to them, sent several email, none of which they have bothered to respond to. I gave Hirt's a good amount of time to respond or do something and told them that I would report my experence to my gardening friends. I have left negative feedback both on Ebay and Dave's garden.
I agree with all of you, its the principal, $7 isn't that much, hasn't gas just past that? We all can be forgiving and allow second chances as long as the responsable party owns up to it.
I am reminded of the saying, "you can do 1000 things right and no one ever hears anything about it, but do one thing wrong!"
The plant was, Bicolor English Monkshood .
Thanks for the support guys. That means alot.
Chuck

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Chuck, just got my order from Hirts this morning....everything looks great including my Bicolor English Monkshood. So sorry you had trouble with them...I have always been pleased with them and today was no different.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Chuck - I had the same kind of problems with Hirt's years ago when they first started selling on ebay. I never did get everything that I paid for. The plant I bought was just thrown into a box with peanuts and of course was broken when I got it. They weren't nice about trying to straighten out my order, either. I will never, ever buy anything from them again. There are sooo many places to buy plants from that value their customers!

Ashame to see Hirt's causing pain.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Yankee, you are so right. There are so many choices that I don't understand how a business can afford even one unhappy customer. I know that there are allways execeptions to the rule, but you at least try to right the wrong.
Pixie, I've done business with Hirt's before and have been happy with both product and service. That is why I don't understand their unwillingness to at least try to do something. They have me in their records as a past customer.
Chuck

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't understand either.....it's too bad because they usually give nice size plants too.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

since monkshood is a perennial it is not a big deal just plant it and more shoots will grow that is why they are not freaked out about it.

It is almost impossible to kill and perennial since most have to grow up to three years before they will flower and produce seeds they are very hardy and even with no water for months they go dormant and will come back as soon as regular watering is administered.

I do feel for you for the damaged plant but since I am a cheap shopper I buy most of my perennials, shrubs, trees, at the end of the season when they look dead to everyone and I get them at 60 to 90 percent off at the local garden centers, the next year they are just beautifull and healthy lol it works everytime

mona

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Mona, I agree with you and I've been known to barter over end of season stuff myself. But the fact remains that when you purchase a product that is offered in good shape and pay for the item in good faith you expect an undamaged product. Truth is that it isn't the damage so much as their "we don't care attitude" that they offered when i brought the matter to their attention.
Chuck

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It surprises me that they didn't apologize for the condition of the plant. Just one sentence with an apology, instructions as to what to do and a request to let them know how the plant looks in four weeks would have made you a happier customer.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Isn't it interesting that sometimes the customers know better how to run a business and treat people then the businesses do.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Victor-lol...took a few but I got it. (There is an auto insurance agent in town who has the last name of Krypple.)

dogw-email, call, insist on a remedy of your choice. If your needs aren't met, rinse, repeat and do again. I've been through this twice so far this year. Once, it was a communication problem within the company, the outcome far exceeded my expectations. The second, same thing.

I've worked in the customer service industry, and I'm also a nursing assistant, sometimes smiling is the only thing that keeps you going, BUT, when dealing with crappy customer service...I became not so nice...to the least. That I got from the RoundUp queen.

I would dispute it through eBay, email them, and if they have a GW hyperlink, post something there as well. Word of mouth is always detrimental when it's in the negative....most companies will/should respond to that. There is nothing like a dissatisfied customer!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Now I really feel bad Chuck...I paid $5.99 for the Bicolor English Monkshood and this is what I got.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Here is my JI 'Light at Dawn'

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Toad Lily 'Golden Leopard'

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

And the Astilbe was huge and has buds.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Celeste,
did you get them from ebay or directly from the website ? they look great.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

The only thing I have bought from this company has been moss, the type I put on my bonsai, I've been very satisfied but that's the only thing I can vouch for. I do prefer to go thru Amazon.com when I purchase from them... call it "intuition". ☺

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Warranties
Hirt's Gardens (the seller) warrants seed to be of the variety and quantity advertised. Claims must be made within 15 days of shipment. All other replacements, refunds, returns and exchanges will be made at the sole discretion of the seller.

This is the reply I got from Hirts today after I emailed them once again about their guarantee. I mailed them the picture of the broken plant and explained how I received it.
I really like the part about, "WILL BE MADE AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE SELLER".
It would cost me more then the $5.98 to send it back. I guess losing $5.98 would cause them to file Chapter 11.

Celeste, you must really be amoung the favored, I didn't even get a tag saying what it was or how to care for it.

Well I guess I'd have to sum it up like that old song, "old man river don't know nuthin, just keeps rolling along."

You really have to read all the ins and outs of a sale on ebay. I am a power seller. I got an email and it said that it 'LOOKS LIKE AN ELEPHANT SAT ON IT". I asked if it was possible to get a picture as I would refund the buyer. I have not got a picture or an email back yet.

If push comes to shove - use the dispute in paypal.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Geez Chuck, I'm sorry...I almost always get tags with my plants. I usually order several things at a time and all come with a tag. I've been ordering from them for about 4-5 yrs. now.

d mail

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I also had problems with Hirt's on ebay. Forget the woman's name at the company but she was RUDE!

I'm afraid to rent from Hertz now.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I guess you could get the hurts from hirts with hertz!

Southeastern, CT(Zone 6a)

ouch!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Likely should file a claim in small claims court and certainly write letters to the state' attorney general. What right have they to expect you to believe a clip off might make and even better plant that what you thought you received?
They appear to have tried to blow you off with that story. Someone sure should post here as to the possible value of growth excited by a pinch back.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lol Victor!!
Chuck sorry that happened to you. Good to know that Hirt can be that callous towards complaints especially from a repeat buyer.
I had purchased many from them and all the transactions had been satisfactory.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.