Showing off a new baby

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

As with many of my aquisitions - I buy (or am given), I plant and then I forget ... until later. This was the case at the weekend when I was surprised by this lovely display of a chionanthus (fringe tree) that I planted last year.

Thumbnail by Artgal
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks very nice. Is that the Chinese or American fringe tree? I had a Chinese one at our last house and it grew fairly large quickly but it had no fragrance like the American ones. Pigeon Hill and Little Kennesaw Mountain are always a treat when the fringe trees are blooming.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Unfortunately the tag only said "chionanthus", so I don't know. I'll go and sniff the blossoms! (It is deciduous).

Here is a close up of one on Little Kennesaw Mountain (2005). It is fragrant when it is warm.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, hmcdole. Is it in bloom this time of year?

The trees up on the mountain are probably in bloom now (that picture was April 24, 2005). I could not find any pictures from last year and I haven't been back since last month (maybe I will venture forth this weekend). The first thing I noticed was the fragrance, then the blooms. My Chinese one had no fragrance whatsoever but did have long panicles of blooms and did set some fruit but I never saw any seedlings from it. This is a tree that needs both sexes (like hollies) to set seed from what I have read about it.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

The blossoms have a faint but sweet scent when I put my nose to them. Does this mean it is American?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! That's all :).

Laurel

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's mine and it smells really spice like. Really strong. Another name is Grancy Grey Beard.
Your's is really pretty.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow, neat plant. Guess I have never seen one in person.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Georgiaredclay, yours is lovely too. I guess they are all a real treat.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

its on my list now.. I need one :)

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

They sure smell so good.

The mountain (Little Kennesaw) was full of them yesterday and I noticed some were intensely fragrant and others weren't (I wonder if the male or female tree has the scent).

Here was a good sized tree (shrub) with white blooms on the sunny side and greenish blooms on the shady side.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Close up of the blooms.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Dropped petals on moss.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Folks, I saw this thread. I have been looking for one of these and I am in NC but come to GA occasionally. Anyone know where I can buy or order one?

Thanks,
Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm with you, Susan, both Susans!. Gotta have it! Going to plantfiles now to see which vendors sell it.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Artgal, Thanks for showing off your new baby! Now I gotta have one. My favorite tree vendor is Mail Order Natives who has it. http://www.mailordernatives.com/servlet/Categories

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have five (only), that I grew , or am growing from seed, and this is their fourth year, and still no bloom, but hoping.They are about 24" this year.Mike "a watched pot never boils!!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.