Dying pear tree! Help??? (X posted)

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I have five pear trees planted next to my front fence. I'm not sure how old they are, but they were full grown (~15 feet) and producing plenty of fruit when I bought my house 4 years ago. They have just finished blooming and are leafing out--except for one, which has retained its brown dead blossoms and has only put out a few tiny leaves. It looks really bad. :(

I can't see any sign of bugs or fungus, although to be honest I'm not completely sure what to look for. Does anyone have any idea what might possibly be affecting my pear tree, what signs I should look for, and could it spread to my other trees???

Thank you for any help you can give to me, I'm really worried about my poor trees.

Here's a picture of one of the blossom clusters...

Thumbnail by phuggins
Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

...and the dying tree next to a healthy one.

Thumbnail by phuggins
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is it a Callery pear? Those are fairly short lived, so it could be it's time has come. Otherwise hopefully someone else will have some better ideas for you! I don't know where you cross posted, but you might consider the Trees & Shrubs forum too if you don't get the answers you need here.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

You might call your county's Cooperative Extension too. I'm sure they could help you...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.