Ant Control

Gaithersburg, MD(Zone 6b)

OK. This is getting to be a problem. There are a couple areas of my garden that started to fail toward the end of last year. I figured it had to do primarily with a hot, dry August. But now I find that the dry soil is honeycombed with ant hills.

What can I do to eliminate them from my garden? I don't mind ants in the garden. They are a part of the natural order. I'm concerned about them burrowing around in the garden and essentially destroying it from underground. Is there anything I can do - natural remedies only, please - to eliminate them from digging their holes the garden?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you know where the hills are, you can pour boiling water over them. (of course being careful not to pour it on your plants too) I suspect though that the dry August was a major factor in what happened to your garden last year more so than the ants. There are also boric acid baits that you can buy, I'm not sure if they're all natural or not but they're less toxic than most ant stuff. I don't know how much good they'll do with that number of ants though, my yard was completely over-run with ants last year and I was able to somewhat control them from getting in the house with the baits, but it didn't make a dent in the population in the garden (FWIW, I didn't notice any plant damage as a result of the ants even though they were in pretty much every square inch of my back garden)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.