Potatoes in shallow soil

Cary, IL(Zone 5a)

I've just created a 9'x14' all-veggie garden in my yard. The soil here is perfect for a pottery class and a pet rock collection so I had it dug out to a depth of 8" and trucked in beautiful rich soil.

My question is whether this will be deep enough to grow potatoes or whether I'll have to peel back the soil and go a little deeper into the clay where I plan to grow some taters...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Phoenix, AZ

I suspect if someone grew 2# of potatoes in a flowerpot, you can grow them in your 8" of soil. You'll need to hill them up as they grow, but you should be fine.

Cary, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I thought I would be OK but it never hurts to ask the experts....

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

You can even grow your tomatoes on top of the ground and heap compost or straw on top of them.

Gainesville, FL

Now that I have this place to get help, maybe I can get back into gadening.My potatos are big bushes now sitting on a hill of course, hubby likes them hills ! Ever know a man that likes instructions ? He's begining to like them now .

Phoenix, AZ

LOL, whatsupdoc! No, I don't as a matter of fact, but once things have gone wrong a few times, it's funny how YOUR ideas get adopted. No credit, of course, but still...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.