Need Help to Find Soil Test kit

Gainesville, FL

I keep taking my soil to be tested at the extention lab .It is not close and sometimes I don't understand their recommendations.

Anyone know where I can get a good soil tester ? When I took a semester of Hort we used a kit in class that came in a little case with lots of vials and it gave good readings .I know it was exspensive 15 yr.s ago .I also want a good ph tester. I'm tied of guessing and working so hard with little success.

Someone here mentioned the Hanna PH tester, but forgot who it was .

Thanks for any help .

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a link to a thread about soil testing. I use the LaMotte kit - there's a link to LaMotte in the thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818394/

Gainesville, FL

Thanks CompostR.I had went to that page last night, but didn't know if someone here had tried it or hs a better one.
I will go back after I get the money next week .Anything about the product you didn't like ?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been using the gauge soil testers from Lowes and Home Depot and they work fine for me? Just make sure the soil is wet prior to testing as they suggest on the instructions.

Gainesville, FL

Thanks TPlant . I have tried the ones you add the colored capsules to and never could get good results . Is this what you use ?

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

I like the LaMotte kit - it's like playing with a chemistry set - well, it is a chemistry set I guess. You just have to follow directions very carefully and keep everything neat and tidy.

I have the soil probe gadget too. It's OK. The extention folks say it's not quite as accurate, but it is faster. Remember to clean the probes each time.

With one or both methods, I think you need to use distilled water to get accurate results. Check the directions.

I don't test every year - maybe every 2 to 3 years.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

The soil probe works great for me as you can tell by my past experiences and pictures but it may not be as accurate as the professionals but how many of us can get to an extension service? I've been using them for years and been very pleased.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.