mango, what now?

Dahlonega, GA

got a fresh mango seed,understand you soak it , pull apart,plant worms. mine has a kernel inside, no "worms" altho it seems to have segments.my second kernel seems to be one solid piece .do i plant the whole thing? looks like it would ruin it if i tried to separate them

mulege, Mexico

I plant the whole thing.

katiebear

Dahlonega, GA

thanks,katieb sally

Dahlonega, GA

gone mango crazy, gosh those are good'2 for dollar at store,i have to force myself to let them get good and ripe.question, i'm planting the kernels, now, how long before i get germination,and little plants?are they self fertile?can they be propagated from cuttings? can guava be propagated from cuttings?are they self fertile?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

digger,

I sure hope you appreciate the 2 for a dollar price -- they are $1.79/each and up here. LOL.

Karen

Dahlonega, GA

i do. dh brought me 2 more in today 2/1.00 i told him why didn't he buy a BUNCH. i'll go to town tomorrow.mama used to say,"if you want it done right, do it yourself " lol

mulege, Mexico

I have read that there are two types of mangoes. One comes true from seed; the other doesn't. I don't know if this is tue.

When I plant the seeds, I make a little trench to help keep them from drying out. I don't cover them. Water them every day or so, just so they stay damp. When the seed splits and I can see the plant starting to emerge I pick a spot and plant it. This should be it's permanent home because mangoes have deep tap roots. If you try to move it and don't get all of the tap root it will die.

I think mangoes can be propagated from cuttings. Often, though, a branch from a desirable cultivar is grafted onto a rootstock. I'd guess it's the same with guavas but I don't know. I also don't know about fertility.

You could read about guavas at www.tradewindsfruit.com. They have lots of good information and great pictures.

The time to germinate varies. I put them in a spot I pass regularly so I can check on them but they are out of the way in case it takes awhile. Don't know if putting them on a heating mat would help.

The new leaves on the magoes I've started from seed are a beautiful burgandy/bronze color.

katiebear

Dahlonega, GA

katieb i'm putting every seed into pots so i can transport them south and put in permanent this winter. haven't checked the link you gave me yet. is it the kernels you trench or the whole seed.mine are just sprinkled with top soil cover.i'm putting in the kernels .am i right?

mulege, Mexico

I trench the whoe seed. I've never tried removing the kernals. You might get a better take or you might hurt something by rremoving the shell. I don't know. I did not get a lot of plants for the number of seeds I planted but that was fine with me. We had an abundance of fruit bought cheap and we froze the pulp and trenched the seeds.

kb

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

katiebear,

Thanks for the info on planting mango seeds. I've read that you have to remove the "bean" part from the outer shell, but when I tried that I broke off the little root that had already started. I went ahead and planted but I assume it is a goner. So, on my next ones I'll follow your advice about not removing the outer shell.

Karen

Dahlonega, GA

what are those (worms)that keeps getting mentioned? it's confusing to me. i will be in town tomorrow,and buy more, will plant a bunch as you suggest, should have some success. when you said you plant the whole thing, i assumed you ment the whole kernel,and didn't separate the worms,which i didn't find anyway.boy,am i thick headed or what? thanks , sally

Maybe wormy fruit, not "mango worms' Someone's joking.

Dahlonega, GA

thanks molam i've seen it mentioned a coupla times , but you make me feel better

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I thought the "worm" mentioned was when the root had started to grow inside the outer shell of the seed. It does sort of look like a worm. No?

Karen

Dahlonega, GA

mine don't seem to have matured that much . i hope that wasnt the hard , dry fiber that i pulled off .ha,what' the success rate for germination? i've been pulling them out , soaking 24 hrs,then planting next day in pots

mulege, Mexico

It's OK to pull the fiber off.

My success rate was low.

Bottom heat might help. Mine were in the ground but during our hottest weather 90's to 100's.

kb

Dahlonega, GA

found the small, orange ones today 2/1.00 bought 15. also the larger red tinted 2/1.29 bought 4 .the small ones are ripe. i'll eat them while the rosie ones ripen . now,the kernels are planted , will try the whole seed on these>>>sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

Pull the husk off as katiebear mentioned. After you eat them, I cut around the husk so I can open it. Then I put them in a container with moist paper towel and put a plastic wrap to keep the moisture in. Then I just let them sit out in the sun - here in Toronto during the summers it's ok - it doesn't cook them. Then after 3 days or so you'll see "worms" or sprouts/roots. After these guys come out I plant them in pots or where ever you want to plant them. taking out the hull/husk speeds up the germination - I'll post up a picture soon on this thread =D

Dahlonega, GA

waiting on pictures . went to cloudforest cafe and the men were talking about growing mangos . i begged them to tell me how to sprout mangos as i hadn't had any luck at all out of about forty seeds . i did as everyone suggested , leave them in , take them out , soak them a week , plant right away ect ,ect .ok , here's the poop , after his answer when i took all my seeds out of the pots , there was one that had a definant sprout on it .the kernel looked nasty rotten where the sprout was growing out . barely visible. only five or six were looking like they might sprout . now ,directions given me . very ripe fruit does best . cut the flat tip off seed with good pruners,open and carefully remove seed kernel , put in pearlite and cover with clear plastic .keep warm ,80 degrees or more ,using a heating pad if necessary . should see some sprouts in two or three weeks or so . when you get true leaves , can remove from pearlite easy to plant in soil . what i've read on various threads, he ,stan , uses a lot of pearlite in his potting soil . this guy is all over that site and seems to have a lot of respect from the other posters . now i'm off to get more mangos to eat and i think , sprout .wish me luck. sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

lol poor sally or is it poor me? atleast you get to eat the mangoes! The price here for mangoes are outrageous!! the picture below are jackfruit seeds..this was taken about a week ago. I treat mango seeds similar to jackfruit seeds. Stan's method is similar to mine, but I don't use heatpads and I use paper towel instead (I've used up all my perlites on my aquarium =/). I only do this during the summer though, because germination rate during winter indoors is pretty poor unless you want to use lights (I do have lights that can be used for growing plants, but again, it's for the aquarium plants....plus it melts plastic pots/containers which is a bummer).

Pick bigger kernels - but I find that the bigger the kernel, the longer it takes for them to sprout. And YES Stan is right...pick the ripest/sweetest one out of the bunch kekekek. I love mangoes. When I go back to the Philippines, I'm going to sit below a mango tree, pick them and eat them all day long *sighs*.

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

and then I put plastic wrap over it and poke holes with a bbq stick....

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

lol this forum prompted me to take pictures this early in the morning.... ok so after i see sprouts/worms growing or the seeds turning green, i transfer them to a pot with light soil, no cow manure etc etc. it takes about 3-5 days to grow this much roots (see pic at the bottom).

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

the above pic was taken about a week ago btw.....

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

then in a couple of days, you'll see stems/leaves....
below pic was taken 2-3 days after the above pic was taken (i know it's blurry =/)..

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

now......

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

i've actually got two seedlings growing on one kernel...don't know if this is normal...

Thumbnail by evr
Dahlonega, GA

love to join you under the tree , just eating mangos. i can't get enough of them . haven't seen jackfruit . want to try guava . we don't get those either. your pictures are great . do you use a greenhouse ? man , i'm tired , will continue tomorrow . nite nite . sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

but earlier this morning, when I checked them, the second seedling (the one to the right) was not out yet....then I came home and the whole top of the seedling was out! I don't know, but they grow pretty fast here during the summer months. Just two days ago the leaves of the seedling was only a mere 3 cm and now it's grown to about 8 cm and they've become fatter/chunkier. Maybe it's the type of mango that you're planting? I planted atualfo mango...the golden yellow ones. Even from previous experiments, I've used atualfo...never tried the bigger red/green ones from mexico or the smaller mangoes from India.

I don't know if you can see below on the picture that there's a "crack"...the seedlings essentially grows from there even if it's a jackfruit seed or mangosteen....but first they establish roots which comes out from the tips of the seeds, not from the sides. I really think that taking out the husk, cutting it open and taking out the kernel/embryo really helps and speeds the germination up. As with my method, you do not have to worry about heating pads as the sun provides it outside here in Toronto (I don't know about Georgia though..). I've read in journal articles somewhere that some tropical seeds are treated with a hot-bath for 3 days to speed up germination. Tropical seeds need:

-enough moisture
-tropical conditions that have higher temperature ranges

And to get these, we obviously need to up humidity and heat which is also asking for seed rot if kept too long...

It may also be your weather conditions at night; I take all big seeds indoors such as mangoes and jackfruits because
1) Too chilly - I've lived in Asia before and I don't remember the weather there being this chilly...as if it's fall/autumn
2)Weather right now in T.O is fluctuating: sometimes we have thunderstorms in the summer which is kind of a bummer
3) Racoons like to chomp on them.

Thumbnail by evr
Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

unfortunately, I do not have a greenhouse. I would love to have one though =D....I take advantage of the summer months here in Canada and just put plastic on top of pots that have seeds that I'm trying to grow..similar to a green house! Then comes winter and have to take in all tropical plants that we've put outside like guavas, jasmine, hibiscus and other stuff. Try going to an Asian/chinese grocery store, usually they have guavas and other tropical fruits.

Dahlonega, GA

evr , so sorry to take so long to get back to you . thought i had answered ,but when i came to this thread , i thought uh o , how rude of me . i think your method is great , i do have one sprouted and a coupla more looks like they want to . i will be more faithful to this link and your generous time to give me the answers i asked for . i think i did answer you , i'll bet i hit the back button . i'm new on puter so please mark it up to ignorance . sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

it's okay sally =D it's the internet. Don't expect much from dg members because they might be busy etc. I don't take offense okay? no need for apologies.

Eliz

Dahlonega, GA

whoopee , i have two and two more just at the surface , should be out tomorrow . what do you do with yours , in containers , in the summer ? have you done this before and what happens when they get big ? i'm in zone 7-a ,and it gets 92 easy in the summer .all my tropicals will be taken to texas coast to be planted . zone 9-b or 10-a . it is getting cool at night here 65 last night . i think i have the problem solved about taking them in at night , so far as they are little and under plastic .i bought a styrofoam shipping box from omaha steaks at garage sale . put seeds in that and put the lid on before it cooled off .put a thermometer in with them , if the temp in there drops too low in there , i'll heat up some rocks in the sun tomorrow , and put them in the bottom , set seeds on them . that ought to help .i'm busy , trying to trench out for concrete and build a room onto mobile home . need a separate utility room for my washer& dryer so can convert existing space into pantry. what was you doing ,traveling all over world ? where are you from ? not nosy , just interested . sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

that's good news! Yes they're in containers right now...I used to take them in before as mentioned earlier, because last year the racoons ate the seedlings. Now I've left them outside all night for about a week and they're even doing good despite the cold temperatures at night (13-14 degrees). At the beginning they look wilted at first, with purplish leaves, and then they turn yellowish green! =D really interesting...

That's really weird though, growing mangoes shouldn't be a problem for you if I can just leave them out like that...maybe it's your microclimate.....is it dry at Georgia?

btw mobiles are cool...family friend has one and it could accommodate 3 families! The planning is so neat that every space is used. Her kitchen table turns into a bed, which can fit 2 people, she has a bedroom with 2 bunk beds and a master that fits a queen sized bed! it's amazing!

lol don't worry you're not being nosy. Didn't really travel all over the world, but I do want to do that someday. I'm currently living in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) but I lived my first 9 years of my life at the Philippines...they've got lots of tropicals/exotic plants there..from orchids to sugar apples to caimito, and of course mangoes! yummy. They are so cheap there like how apples/oranges are cheap in N. America. I guess we took that situation for granted and when my family came here, we certainly missed mangoes and other tropical fruits that you cannot get so easily here (a box of mangoes cost from $9.00 to $20). Not planning to grow these mangoes for their fruits, just reminds me of childhood memories. But hey if they do bear fruits within the next years, that works for me too! hehehehhee.

Dahlonega, GA

evr ,well , i don't know what's wrong with mine .the leaves wont go ahead and grow . they came up and just quit growing . the first one had a rotten place it sprouted from ,and some have gotten dry , black mold . i washed them off and sprayed with anti fungal to stop mold . dont know what if anything to expect . put a reptile heater in styrofoam box to keep warm at night . put a thermometer in there so will check the temp in morning . i'll let you know what happens . sally

Dahlonega, GA

evr , the temp holds at 90 and believe it or not , the little boogers are showing some growth now . in two days ! i set them out on rail of deck when it warms up . the seeds that haven't broken out even look fatter . sally

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

That's good sally! I've always wondered why they rot before they grow..kinda want to know the specifics on that. My custard apple and lychees rotted before they could grow too. and yes the growth at the beggining is slow, but they seem to grow fast after.

My atualfo started growing reddish leaves at first, but now they're green and looks like normal plants. I guess that's just the way they grow

Dahlonega, GA

little stem came up on a coupla of them but tip of them turned black . no leaves , then kicked the bucket . i do have only one that for sure is going to survive . it is on its third true set of leaves and you know , it has another stem trying to grow out of it also . i'll keep you up to date . sally

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I was inspired after reading everyone's experiences growing mangos, so I bought one this past weekend. I finally got the seed out with a lot of pulp still clinging all over it. So I decided to set it on a paper plate and put it on my screened in porch to dry before planting. I also had purchased some papayas, small one and a large one to try and grow the papayas. They too were on their paper plates, drying on the porch. That was Saturday. Each day I checked them. They were still sticky. Yesterday, after work, I looked and 'Oh my Goodness!'
The large mango seed was gone. Over half of the papaya seeds were scattered all over the table and floor. I looked over towards the screened wooden door.....there at the bottom was a small torn hole. AHA! An unknown critter ate my seeds. Well, I went ahead and planted the remaining papaya seeds. I'll have to buy another mango to try that. I sure hope something sprouts from the papayas.
No more drying on the porch!

Pam

This message was edited Aug 27, 2008 7:20 AM

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

lol yes pamela, I had a similar experience but it the creatures were a family of raccoons lol.

Good luck with your mangoes and papayas!

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks evr! I think my critter was a squirrel. I see them running over the railing then the roof then the other side railing. Zip....zip.....zip....then jump to a nearby tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.