April Shade Garden

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well I've never been to San Diego maybe we can work something out!!!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Semp and Doss, actually it is just a few bags of compost and manure from Lowes. I was adding it to the holes I was digging for the hostas and ferns and thought it looked so good I'd just do it all over while amending the soil over time. But you are right it is against the trunk so I will pull it back some. Thanks for the hint. The funny thing is just about all the rock I've used in my yard for beds and walls came off my hillside behind the house. Every Spring a few more poke up through the ground and I just keep pickin' them up, although some of them take two good sized men to move into my little garden trailer. But hey it's free landscaping stone! Attached is a photo of my back bed with the arbor I made last Easter in the bed I did several years ago.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a lovely setting you've created. And the rocks are beautiful. Lucky you to have a source for them right in the back yard.

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

This is so cool to see what y'all are doing. I am getting some ideas - do you think I should clue Kenboy in on the plans I have, or just 'surprise' him with a bunch of new projects? LOL!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Actually the arbor was a few pieces of an old canavs top gazebo you might buy at Wal Mart or Lowes that someone had thrown away. I picked them up and built the arbor out of them. It really is much more beautiful this year as I added Clematis on the insides walls of the arbor and a Stairway To Heaven climbing rose on the left side to eventually cover it. As it gets more fully grown this summer I'll post more pics. I just love this website seeing everyone's gardens and beautiful ideas. I definitely have become a "Dave's Addict" !!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Im right there with you postmandug.... My husband says he is a daves widower!!!! But your yard is amazing!!! Loved the photos.... Wish we had more room. But we enjoy what room we do have.... Thats all we can do huh??? The spring is being very good to my yard also... Have been working very hard also.... I love the free gardeening hardscape... I went and hauled all kinds of very nice slate pieces from my brothers house and made a walk way in my side yard a couple of years ago... It now is my favorite part of the yard!! It has old red bricks and slate... I love it ! Keep posting georgeous pictures of your yard we are loving it! Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like a very relaxing spot Ronna. I love the mixture of slate and bricks.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ronna, it looks very relaxing indeed, no wonder it's your favorite spot!
Rob

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks it was a lot of work but very gratifying.... And of course I keep adding the plants. Not done yet! Im always looking for the native wildflowers... Ronna

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

That is very cool looking, in both senses. I love seeing what others do to make their gardens more friendly. I have just made a 'destination' area down by the oldest Japanese Maple. A friend did some curbside shopping on garbage pick-up day and found a nice wicker chair and another friend gave me a wicker shelf and another wicker chair. All are painted white and I added a small metal table that I also painted white to the group.

I put 2 Jatrophas on the wicker shelf along with a teapot planted with Jewels of Opar and added a couple shallow wooden bowls of shells I collected on my first trip to the Texas Gulf coast. It is now an area that people will want to walk to, sit down, and enjoy the view of the maple with it's new surrounding planting of Hostas, Toad Lilies and Hellebores. Adjacent to it is one of the raised beds that Ken has planted up with our increasing collection of seedling Brugs (thanks to Jestelleoan, the woman who looks at a seed and makes it sprout).

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow sounds very nice maggiew!!!! would love to see a photo maybe??? I love the spot destination photos they just look so cozy!!! Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.