My Baby is Blooming!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is a cross of "Exotica" and "Carnival". I grew it from seed. This is the first seed-grown one to bloom for me.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Mobile, AL

Kelli!

It is a pretty color! I would love to know the heritage of Exotica!

How long did it take for it too go from seed to blooming size?

Hyannis (Cape Cod), MA(Zone 6a)

Congratulations Kelli! It looks great :-)

Thank you.

I have no idea what the heritage of Exotica is. I didn't keep a record of when I planted the seeds, but I'm guessing it was three years ago. (I got four plants from that seed pod. Will all of the flowers be the same?) I was surprised to see this one bloom when I have some older crosses that haven't bloomed yet.

One of the petals is curled in because a stamen is attached to it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Now that the flower has been open all day, the light band around the petals is more apparent. The flower behind it has a petal with a white stripe on it. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow after the stamens have dried.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Hi again Kelli,
Couldn't help notice another of my addictions in your pic - what colour is your epiphyllum??? Here's one of mine - huge fist size flowers!

Thumbnail by litmusician

It's a hylocereus (or something like that) if I remember correctly. I just got it last fall and it hasn't bloomed yet and doesn't have any buds right now. I've never had one of those before so I don't know what the normal bloom time is. I do have 5 different epis and all but one have buds now. Two will be blooming any day now.

Mine really get a cooling off time January-March - I keep the greenhouse on the cool side, and this seems to really encourage the blooming process. 4 of mine are blooming now...

This is the other flower on the stalk. It has one little white stripe at the lower left.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Kelli,
each sibling is a genetic individual and will more or less look different from another sibling.

Melbourne, FL

Very pretty color. Congratulations!

Here are a couple pictures for you, Litmusician.

"Maureen Davis"

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Roman Holiday"

Thumbnail by Kelli

"Sunset Boulevard"

Thumbnail by Kelli

Wow Kelli your ummmh... "multipetaled knight star lilies" are pretty!
The last one is fascinating... heavy purple with a transition to peach. The first time I ever perceived this color combination.

F2 (self pollination) of Flammingo.
Interestingly, the 4 buds are almost equal in size, and with this (genetically fixed, according to my experience) feature it differs conspicuously from the first sibling.

Thumbnail by haweha

It's good to know that any of the seeds from a pod could produce different flowers. I didn't know how it would work, if they would be "identical" or "fraternal".

In case anyone is wondering, the last three pictures I posted are of epiphyllum, which further up Litmusician said is an obsession of his/hers. I figured I could highjack my own thread. I hardly know a thing about epi varieties, but I buy one or two a year at a cactus show and I enjoy the big flowers.

Kelli, if you self pollinate a hippeastrum hybrid it is totally unpredictable HOW different the seedlings will perform. This depends on the more-recent parental background of the hybrid. IF the hybrid (here: Exotica) was generated out of crossbreeding two totally different parents then this will come to light because your seedlings will be looking rather different. If parents of similar appearance were used then your seedlings might look more uniform. However, when you breed with sophisticated hybrids with a deep background of a long breeding history (which applies for the big blooming TET hybrids) then you will have to be aware that a greater number will represent - if you judge honestly after profound and accurate inspection, without sentimentality - inferior copies of the mother plant. But, on the other hand, inferior is at least in part a subjective decision, and properties which are considered as inferior under commercial categories might find your special appreciation.

Ewing, VA

I recently made a couple of crosses of this:

Exotica X Peaches &Cream ( a mislabeled bulb that I gave a name to...lol)

Any thoughts on what I can expect?

Thumbnail by mariava7

Hi Kelli,
Love the epis!!!! beautiful! Thanks for sharing :-) Here's one of mine...
J

Thumbnail by litmusician

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.