Nola's Iris Farm?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/index.html

Has anyone ordered from this site? I found several I would like to have and cheaper prices too. Nothing on them in Garden watchdog. Thanks!

I think this is Edith Wolford blooming today in my yard. Just can't help posting a photo too!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I found them in GW

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3437/

I don't know much about them either but I've made several wish lists from the site and will probably place an order this season. Just a little one though...not much room left:LOL:

Forgot to say how pretty Edith is:) My first bloom this season was Earthborn that I just got last fall and didn't plant until Dec. I bought from a company called Wild Iris Rows and was very happy with them.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2008 4:30 PM

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Well, thanks so much! I did a search but apparently didn't have enough of the name in there?? Wild Iris Rows, love that play on words. LOL!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi cactuspatch,

I can't speak personally about Nola's, but Margie Valenzuela, known on Dave's as Margiempv, has offered her new introductions through Nola's for the past two seasons. Margie has quite a reputation herself, and I would not hesitate do business with someone she is associated with... just my two cents.

Dan

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh yes! I want Birthday Confetti:) Gorgeous!

http://www.walking-p-bar.com/shopsite/New%20Introductions.html

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I agree with Dan...I've already begun a list of Margie's that I want to get through Nola's this fall..

Raleigh, NC

hmmmmmmmm

Seems to me Prevost Ranch was the name of the outfit that bought out/took over all of Leota's stock. I had known of Leota's about a year and was preparing to place an order when this happened.

Leota's website was where I could almost always find a photo of almost any iris, they had so very many.

Don't think they had much luck with the Prevost Ranch brand. Now they are doing business as Nola's?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Great, you all have me placing an order! Thanks for all the input! Joyce

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm not too far behind you Joyce:LOL: Making a list of the eyecatchers and will have to whittle it down a bit. I saved the link to Leota's old site that is on Nola's GW page. I saw a couple there that aren't on Nola's site. I may ask if there are any available for sale that aren't listed with Nola's.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 6:55 PM

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Everyone! The official Garden name is Nola's Iris Garden. The business name happens to be Prevost Ranch and Gardens (which is the Nola's Iris Garden part of the business). We started out as a Ranch with beef cattle and horses so all of our licenses and accounts started as Prevost Ranch. It was much easier to add the "Garden" rather than start a whole new business (with the State and the agriculture department, etc.). I know, it seems confusing (which we've heard from customers). This is our fifth year growing and selling iris. We are in peak bloom right now and it is glorious (with over 1700 varieties).

Concerning the availability of Leota's irises - we were growing and testing them after transplant to ensure and verify variety. So, please, email and inquire if you don't see it listed on the website. We do sell them if we have them available - some, unfortunately, didn't survive the transport/transplant :-( We've been adding more and more varieties as they bloom and we verify them so check the site periodically.
www.walking-p-bar.com

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I ordered a bunch (good sized box full) of iris from Nola's Iris Garden last summer. When they arrived I was AMAZED at the huge and incredibly healthy rhizomes I received. I've ordered from a number of top sellers and have seen large rhizomes before but many of these were off the charts huge. Some were multi-part rhizomes already eager to send up multiple fans. I was so happy with my new iris rhizomes and eager to plant them, but then I got sick and things happened. The experts indicate that November is the last safe time to plant iris in my area, but November came and went while those iris were still sitting in that box. It was late January of 2008 and even early Feb for some when I finally had the chance to plant them. I was pretty bummed to think that all of those fabulous rhizomes would probably die because they wouldn't have a chance to make roots before going dormant.

In early April after having been in the ground for a mere 2 months, the iris I received from Nola's Iris Garden in late summer of 2007 started to bloom, and Wow are they blooming! Most of the one's that have bloomed so far have been loaded down with blooms. I'm accustomed to seeing a few blooms on a young plant. These have maybe 5-7 or more on each stalk and many have multiple stalks. It's difficult for me to say how many flowers there are total on a given plant as the plants just keep blooming and blooming, flowers fade and more pop up. I am really quite impressed! My photos are on my other laptop. I'll come back later and post a few for you.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is Bye Bye Blues. This one was received in late Sept or Early Oct of 07, planted in late Jan 08, bloomed Apr 17 08 (incredibly). Please excuse the weeds : )

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

mam zelle (sp?). Received and planted the same time as the one above. This one bloomed a few days later. I believe this one had a total of 9 buds on 2 stalks.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Le Mer, same batch. bloomed a few days before the others

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

same one, different angle, looks like a total of 5 blooms/buds.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Mam Zelle again, same plant above seen a few days later when more blooms were open - unfortunately also the day after a storm which beat everything down quite a bit.

Again, this rhizome was planted in January of 2008 and is shown here blooming in mid April of 2008. Is it just me? Does anyone else find that amazing?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

close up on the lower blooms on that one (smooshed a bit by storm the prior day)

Raleigh, NC

gprevost, thanks for the input. Have always wondered. presumtion was that Leota retired - that's it or someone died in the iris world! Saw your posted photos at one time when you were transplanting and I saw the photos of the first year's weeding! Oh my - that's the way my first large iris bed looked this spring!! LOL

Good to hear y'all are doing so well. I haven't kept track, but Leota's was the way I first started to understand just how many irises were out there for sale and for ID.

Love San Jose, been to y'all's convention ceter many times

will we be seeing your intros at some point?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm normally not a fan of the paler blues but Bye Bye Blues is beautiful:)

I would normally been sceptical about getting blooms of rhizomes planted so late but I had the same thing happen with me. I ordered late and got my iris in late Sept 07. Some were small so the seller was kind enough to double the amount he included. They were no bigger than a medium piece of ginger but they were freshly dug. I procrastinated and the only opportunity I had to both remove all of the old overgrown noid iris and plant the newbies was one week in late Dec. The temps all week were in the high 70's...so I finally got the new kids in the ground. The first bloom of the season for me was my most wanted iris--the six small rhizomes--Earthborn! =D Just a beautiful as I had hoped it would be! I did not expect to see anything this season so they are especially appreciated.

I think I was so used to buying iris from the big box stores where you get dried shrivelled rhizomes that I didn't take into acount that these were freshly dug...probably makes a huge difference for getting next season blooms after transplanting.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

dmac085,

Oh, I love the blue ones, all shades from navy to sky. It is so difficult to find blue flowers. I really indulge myself in the blue iris. I especially like the combination of blue and purple with pink. Bye Bye Blues is lovely and it is still blooming, new buds still opening. I've not seen Earthborn. Will have to look that one up.

Calm Stream (another blue) opened a few days ago and is having some difficulty staying upright because 'she' doesn't appear to have enough roots to hold the weight of all of her flowers. My bad for planting her so late in winter, but the flowers are lovely just the same. I propped her up for now. ;-)

Just wanted to clarify though that I wasn't trying to hijack the thread to show my iris. I though the question was whether anyone had ordered from Nola's. This was my 1st order. I had ordered from Liota's before, too. Anyhow, I was quite pleased with my order, and thought I'd show some of my iris from that order. I wish now that I had thought to photograph some of those awesome rhizomes but lacking that I figured the number and health of blooms would speak for themselves. I know they didn't get all that energy from being in my garden for 2 months in winter. lol

Just looked at Earthborn. That is pretty.

Raleigh, NC

Scutler, you've just named one of the irises in my garden that is not well known, Calm Stream, but it's the very first iris every lady points to as they approach the beds. It's hugely popular here, and I have over 500 varieties planted. Maybe it's not as well known because it's English import?

Don't mean to highjack the thread either, but if you like blues and lots of bloom, try Rapid Fire, hybridized by Aitken. Nice soft bloom and tons of them. A great blue that's supposed to rebloom is Full Tide.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

No problem everyone, the posts are talking about iris and I love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.