Grubs worms

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Are grub worms bad for your veggie garden? I know they can be bad for the lawn. I'm asking because I found alot of them yesterday while digging in the garden. If so, what's the best control for them?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would assume since they munch on grass roots they might munch on other roots too, and they may also grow up to be something undesirable like a Japanese beetle. Milky spore is probably the most common organic control, and I think there's some sort of nematode that will also take care of them.

Okay, maybe someone else can add more here. I don't think we have the Japanese beetle here, but the June bug we have.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Next fall if you will plant a mixture of turnip seed and mustard seed as a cover crop many of the grubs will not show the following Spring. Do this early enough on the open parts of your patch will let you eat some of the turnips.

The nematodes that seek (meaning move to) the grubs can be purchased from Arbico Organics. Jennifer Bauman is the Biolocical Consultant. I only used them one year...last Spring in conjunction with Milky Spore. For that reason I have no opinion as to which did what and how much. I do know my grub count went down to very few. Neither of these products is inexpensive. I suggest you read their catalog on line and then talk with Jennifer. You like I will have to make the decision as to a yea or ney.

Thanks, doc!

Tucson, AZ

I happen to live in Tucson and ARBICO is not far from here. We've used the nematodes for grub control with great success but you must follow the directions very carefully. There are pretty strict timelines as to when to apply them. FYI.

Thanks momherb I still need to look into it.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Doc,
I haven't heard of using Turnip or Mustard... interesting.
Does the mustard grow tall, is it controllable in the lawn, can you mow it and keep it looking presentable?
Finding something to work along with Milky Spore would be great.
Dove

Not a word has been said suggesting turnip or mustard in a yard. Search Acres Magazine or purchase the most recent copy for quite a discussion on the use of turnips and mustard as a garder or field cover crop.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Is that Acres U.S.A.?

Could be.............I give them all away. None here now to check my memory. I think that is the name.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

OK, thanks... I'll do some research

Atlanta, GA

There is a wonderful book that may be out of print now, "Gardening with Nature" by Leonard Wickenden. It is one of the earlier organic gardening books.

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend it for general gardening and also dealing with pests.

Anyhow, when I bought my property years ago, I soon found that it was totally invested with Japanese Beetle larva. After years of killing the larva whenever I found them they are no longer a problem.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I've used Milky Spore, (last fall and this spring) but covering 3 acres is not easy.
Every time I dig I find grubs. I kill them when I find them. I'll probably find I've made a good dent in the population about the time we have to move *S*
Well at least it will be an improvement for the next family.

Dove
(making the world a better place one dead grub at a time)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

June bugs are adult grubs. We use beneficial nematodes and they've reduced the number of grubs (& june bugs) significantly, but they've not totally eradicated them. We spray about 3 times a year, once in early early spring, once in late spring, and once in fall. Nematodes will also cut down on fleas, ticks, fire ants, and a host of other soil borne pests.

Stephanie

Stephanie, good point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.