Need help identifying red and green self-seeded plant

Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

In one of my raised beds I planted a mixture of lettuces and other salad greens/herbs last year. I allowed a number of them to grow tall and go to seed at the end of the season. Within the past few weeks three main varieties of plants have appeared in this bed and are thriving. Although I can easily ID the cilantro and the dill, there is another plant that remains a mystery to me. Its leaves are mainly on the red side with noticeable green as well and it tastes a little peppery. Can anyone help me identify it?

Thymewarp

Thumbnail by thymewarp13
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That looks like one of the 'Perillas', did you have that growing last year or a neighbor could have they reseed everywhere in the sun/shade where ever the birds carry the seeds lol Once you have it you will always have it :)

I know this like isn't that leaf but I bet it is this they come in different colors:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/135939/

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

The leaves look more like a mustard however if it has square stems LeBug may be correct or it may be another member of the mint family such as basil.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2008 1:15 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

This year I planted a mixed package simply labeled Mesculun which mean mixed lettuce. Your plant is part of the mix. Also seen in the mix in the produce dept of the grocery store. Very good in a salad. This picture was taken on the 25th. 2 inches of rain since and they have about doubled. Not exagerating.

christi

Thumbnail by LouC
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I've never grown mustard and the leaves to the perilla are usually more pointed than round so that may be right, we see what everyone else has to say :)

Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your responses, LeBug and Hemental.

I'm more inclined to think that it was one of the plants that I seeded last year, Perillas not being among them. I used to keep accurate records of every seed that went into the ground, but last year I had a few combo packs with some unfamiliar varieties in them, so I can't even be sure what some of the plants were. The peppery taste of the leaves does remind me of something in the mustard family that I had grown some years back. I did also have a few varieties of basil in this bed, although I think all my basils were harvested before they could go to seed.

Thumbnail by thymewarp13
Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

LouC (christi)....I did plant a pack of Mesclun greens last year, although the red leaves in your pic remind me more of red oak leaf lettuce than my current mystery plant. I know I also had red romaine lettuce in this bed last year, but I think that's another that can definitely be ruled out by both taste and appearance.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Perilla has a peppery taste and the leaf is rough, but having the pepper taste is why I thought it might be that one but the leaf is different than what I have grown before but they do have a lot of newer ones out that I haven't seen yet and someone can grow those 6 blocks down the road and we can still have seedlings of them they reseed like crazy lol I get them here every once in a while and haven't grown it for years, but I am planting some this year it's as pretty as coleus and so versatile and you can eat it in salads and soups.

Phoenix, AZ

Giant red mustard? https://www.sunshinefarm.net/cart/images/Red_Mustard.jpg

Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

LeBug, I really appreciate your info regarding Perilla. I confess to having been totally ignorant re: Perilla and its many varieties prior to your post, and enjoy having my eyes opened to a plant that can be as versatile and attractive. Anything that looks great (and I do love coleus) and can be used for culinary purposes in both salads and soups, is something I'm interested in. Although I read through your original Perilla info, I went beyond that and did some googling re: Perilla varieties. With your additional info and what I came across while googling, I can really appreciate the possible uses for one or more of its varieties in my garden. Although I was convinced at first that it could not be Perilla, I now see that it probably can't be ruled out at this stage. Thanks again.

Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

Tomatofreak, I think you solved my mystery. I had to look at your picture several times, just to make sure that I wasn't somehow or other looking at one of my own photos. I think it's at least 99% certain that Giant Red Mustard is what I've got. Thanks.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

It is raining again. Need to take a picture for help as something in the mesculun mix has bolted since yesterday and is blooming.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure looks like Tomatofreak is right! Case solved LOL

thymewarp13, I'm planting some perilla this year if you don't get any seeds for next year I'll send you some when they start to seed if you want :)

Lea

Phoenix, AZ

I want some giant red mustard! That's a lucky surprise thymewarp. Did you have some planted there earlier?

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

There are quite a few red and purple mustard.
Two that come to mind in addition to Red Giant are Osaka Purple and Russian Red and a few others with red or purple streaks.

Hatfield, PA(Zone 6b)

LeBug, if I don't get any Perilla seeds on my own this year, I'd be glad to take you up on your offer. Thanks. :-)

Tomatofreak, I can only guess that the giant red mustard must have been among the seeds in one of the combo packs I sowed last year. I may have saved the empty packets in my seed box (which I haven't checked yet.) The red/purple mustard is appearing to be much more prolific this year than last based on the number of volunteer plants I'm seeing. I never actually gathered seeds from this particular bed last year so what has come up is what has self-seeded. (Actually, the only plants I gathered seeds from were several varieties of pole beans, money plant and columbine. The other plant that self-seeds prolifically in my garden is the cleome, a plant that I once found ugly but now enjoy.)

Thanks for your input, Hemental.

Thumbnail by thymewarp13
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Its Red Mustard Heres Mine

Thumbnail by phicks
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Red Mustard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.