What is this bush killer?

Humble, TX

I didn't notice until a week ago the white stuff growing on the stems. I decided to give it a week to see "what would happen." but I am afraid I was too late. Most of the leaves had turned brown. SInce it was a bush in a bad place for a bush, I went ahead and pulled it out. What is the white funk and do I need to worry about it spreading to other bushes? How can you control it if it does spread?
Thanks!
Tabitha

Thumbnail by madrid2000
Humble, TX

Here is a picture of more of the bush.

Thumbnail by madrid2000
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

That is scale - a very heavy infestation of scale. Scale is an insect that forms a protective layer over its body, and under this layer lays multitudes of eggs, which then go forth and procreate, forming more mature scales.

It can spread, so I would watch carefully for it. Some scales are quite selective with the plants that they will colonize, so you may or may not have a problem. But watch, and if you see anything, spray with a horticultural oil which can be purchased at box stores and nurseries. Cover the plant throughly - you are attempting to suffocate all of the crawlers - eggs which have hatched but have not yet formed that protective layer. You'll need to repeat in a week to 10 days. Not all of the eggs hatch at the same time...

Scale is not easy to get rid of, unfortunately.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.