My mini bog

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I decided to try a mini bog this year. It's about 2 feet long by about 1 foot wide. Some sarrs and a VFT are in it. Planted them last week.

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Tommy, I'm curious about your winter plans for the mini bog. Are you lucky enough to have a good spot for it?

Winters get too cold here so they come out of the bog and pots, get cleaned off, put into zip lock bags and into the fridge. They get replanted in mid February.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm starting an outside bog, (still waiting for my plants tho). I'm in zone 5a, so was going to mulch heavily. But I may also try that method with some. They don't need any air during this time?

They survive great. They get air, don't worry! A spray with some fungicide before they go in the bag is all that's needed. They stay moist in the bag.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, I may try it with some this winter. I'm presuming the bags are zipped to keep in the moisture.

Yes, to keep the moisture. I use Hefty bags. They're not totally sealed technically. What's important is the temp. Not freezing but cold enough to be dormant. about 40 degrees F.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the tips!

No problem!

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Tommy, whats your mini bog look like these days?

I removed them from the bog and re-planted in their own pots. I had put too much soil in the bog, and some creature (my guess a squirrel) was digging in it as well.

I'll have to try again next year....

Thanks for asking!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.