Herb GardeningI need some advice from experienced folks!

Valrico, FL

I am trying once again to start growing zerbs. I have tried at least a couple of times previously with unsatisfacory results. It seems like it should be a simple project that is suppposed to grow herbs with ease.. I tried growing them inside,where they promptly and unceremoniously died. I thought growing them inside, in my sunny kitchen I thought I wold have success. No dice! My kitchen is very well lighted with natural ligtl. I had them inside because I was sure the heat and humidity would be too much. I was right, except the inside seemed to be almost as hostile an environment. The plants, which appeared to be healthy, succumbed in just a couple of weeks completely. Then I tried them outside, and the heat, even though I had them in shade with good light, killed them almost as quickly. I think some parsley lived but is well on its way to herb heaven. I had the last group in relatively small containers, but the plants had plenty of room to grow.

My most recent effort seems to have been well inspired. I got a couple of the large whiskey barrel plants and used Miracle Gro garden soil for planting these in. I have a mixture of several kinds of mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano and sage. They are all planted in one whiskey barrel planter. I have my basil (which I have been successful with in the past) in a large bowl-type planter and so far it is OK. The other whiske barrel planter contains two grape tomato plants, and 3 "cups" of onion chives. The onion chives came in nice clusters and are growing rapidly, just like the Grape Tomatoes are. Frankly, I didn't expect any of them to really take off and grow, but they all seem to be doing so. I am told the small herbs, like I have in the one planter, will do well as long as they are not exposed to the full hot sun for most of the day, which I have found too be true. As I expected, the basil is doing fine (it smells so ood) but the chives and tomato plants seems to be growing like crazy. I know either the intensity of the heat will kill them in fairly short order, but they are growing like mad. I think I can resolve the issue of the plants not thriving, but I am really unsure of how to harvest the chives so that they will keep growing vigorously. when I cut one of the chives plants,where should that cut be and how much should I cut. Secondly, will the chives continue to grow after they have been cut.? It would seem that snipping the chives periodicaly woould improve the performance of those plants, but then again, it could kill them if I cut them incorrectly. They are labelled as onion chives. Will they continue to grow and thick as the time goes on? It is obvious to me that I will have to snip them with caution, but by doing so, it will continue to make them grow even more strongly. Am I wrong about that?

I think the grape tomatoes will be much easier as they are going to do just what they are already designed to do, but I would like to be sure that I am correct about that. I think the basic care for the tomatoes will be to grow them in containers, feed them regularly, support the vines and pick the bounty regularly. There is no information on the plant stakes that addresses these questions. Are there any Dave's Garden folks who can help me out here? I really want to have good success on growing these vegtables. I would appreciate any advice offerred.
Bill.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

whenever you grow anything inside the house you have to use lights because they need at least 16 hours of light once they germinate and until you put them outside for good. no matter how much light comes into the room it is not enough.

as far as your whisky barrels go you have to make sure that ther soil you put into them is made for containers. there is a difference between garden soil and potting soild made for cntainers. the garden soil will eventually cmpact from the watering and might kill the plant.

i grow basil in the full sun all day and never have a problem with it. thats about the only herb i grow so i don't know about the others,

good luck and happy grdening. p.s. you would get better results if you asked your question on the appropriate forums.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.