The Town Common

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

The Town common is a nature reserve here in Townsville, I went there today for a walk and to see what was flowering, I am going to share some pics. I hope that you enjoy.

A wallaby on the side of the road.

Thumbnail by annette68

A blue flowering vine was everywhere, dont know the id.

Thumbnail by annette68

Ipomoea Coccinea was soon spotted by the side of the road.

Thumbnail by annette68

A very pretty pink flowering was soon spotted, butterflies were flocking to it.

Thumbnail by annette68

Butterflies like this were everywhere.

Thumbnail by annette68

Up near the birdwatching everywhere, spotted this huge hibiscus.

Thumbnail by annette68

Than this small hibiscus with pink flowers.

Thumbnail by annette68

A view from the hill.

Thumbnail by annette68

Ipomoea Triloba was happy growing everywhere.

Thumbnail by annette68

A bud on an unknown vine.

Thumbnail by annette68

Took another pic of another morning glory.

Thumbnail by annette68

A small green treefrog really enjoyed this ipomoea as he was nestled amongst the seedpods.

Thumbnail by annette68
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Beautiful Annette! Thanks for sharing your walk with us. My legs are tired from walking up that hill though! LOL
Do you think most of those plants are blow ins, or someone has scatteder seed purposely?

A lot of the ipomoeas are not natives so I think that the seed has come via birds.

This is lantana which has been declared a noxious weed and the butterflies just love it.

Thumbnail by annette68

Lantana with a butterfly visitor.

Thumbnail by annette68

The wetlands where the birds flock.

Thumbnail by annette68

That was my morning trip to the common and it was an eyeopener with weeds residing happily, hyptis was everywhere. A most enjoyable morning.

beautiful Annette ...what a happy and beautiful morning walk ...so nice to see sunshine and so nice to feel some here ...it has crept up to 26C where I am ...delicious!
chrissy

It is 30 degrees here or close enough went this morning while the weather was in its early 20's.

What is it in the Summer? the hottest day this year was only 33C and it was in Oct usually it is in the mid to high 30's in the Summer but has got up to 45C one New Years Day about 3 years ago and I thought I would die !!!!

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

beautiful pics Annette,I particularly liked the hibiscus..do you think they are native and did you get some seeds,girl?LOL

Yes I collected seeds, the flowers on the big hibiscus looked so plastic like that I didnt think that they were real at first. I think that they are both native, could be wrong as there were a lot of exotics growing wild.

Summer has been great in the last few years, low 30's so cant complain.

Merino, Australia

I too enjoyed that walk annette. I did need the exercise. Did you get any seeds of the Ipomoeas ? I have been looking at some on the American eBay but I don't think they would be allowed in as I think the common morning glory is classed a a weed, and customs would frown on any of the species. . I would like to grow some over my tree stumps.
You certainly live in a paradise. . Have a daily walk for me, I need it. Jean.

Hi Jean,

Yes I collected seeds of some of the ipomoeas, I am also going back in a couple of weeks to collect more, some were setting, if ordering from overseas order ipomoea nil as these are on the allowed list, I am collecting mg's at the moment to photograph, I have got 3 extra seedlings of ipomoea heavenly blue if you are chasing a plant.This is I.Horsfalliae that flowered this morning for me in my own little piece of paradise.

Just lmk what mg's tickled your fancy and I will collect some seeds for you.

Thumbnail by annette68

ooooh love that pink one ...does it set seeds?

Not sure if it sets, from what I read it isnt a prolific seed setter, will know soon when my flowers die, it is really pretty.

Wonderful if it does!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.