Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

"Colossal"

(Zone 1)

Close up of: "Way Down Yonder"

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, that Colossal is a dead ringer for a winner in a show! The other Molly's Folly has such fine foliage so keep us updated for more blooms.
Now I have to go find some blooms. I worked all day potting up but I did get through with the ones I was working on..........hip hip hooray!

Way Down Yonder bloom is a dream one...........where are you finding these unusual plants?

be back in a minute

This message was edited Apr 26, 2008 8:14 PM

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Well Were not as bussy as we were last night with Bingo.
I thought I take a few pictures with no names I got a brunch more no names but they haven't come open yet
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is another one no name

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

And I have no idea what kind of AV it is but I think it the cutes thing no buds but I love the colors, Must had to much coke shakey
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
(Zone 1)

Ooooh, very nice Kim! I love the variegated foliage on that last one! Wonder what the flowers will look like on that one? I hope you will keep us updated!

Gail: All three of those AV's are ones I bought at our last meeting from the president of our local club. Whenever she has duplicates she cleans her shelves and sells all the extras to us. $3 each! The one called Way Down Yonder doesn't look too great ... but I adore that purple bloom! The description I found says it's a two tone lavender bloom but it sure looks purple to me.

I had searched awhile back and couldn't find them at AVSA photograph's. Just found Colossal ... it is actually called "Buckeye Colossal": http://www.avsa.org/Photographs/BuckeyeColossalLrg.jpg#http://../Photographs/BuckeyeColossalLrg.jpg%23

All I found for Molly's Folly is a description: Molly's Folly (Foster) Rosy Pink, Double with purple splashes and dots, variegated foliage, standard.
And, all I found for Way Down Yonder is a description: Way Down Yonder (Sisk) Double two tone lavender, variegated tailored foliage.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

wow, this is fun, Dimmer and Lin. That last picture of the foliage is worth looking at every day if she never blooms!

I am cheating on some of these..........will tell you which ones I picked up yesterday but I don't know the names and would have to run back and look at each name......will give them to you when they get older.........

I went back and read your post, Lin. No wonder she is so beautiful........a Buckeye but I love that purple bloom so much

Not cheating on Connect The Dots sinningia by Dale Martens. She just opened up today

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

a new plant I think is called Rob's Galiwinky

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Rolling Cloudbursts was grown from a leaf and I have waited sooooooooooo long for her to bloom but I think she is going to make it for the sale. She is a standard trailer and will get many more crowns (actually she has quite a few now)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Sassy Night......haven't looked to see what size she is going to be

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

My gosh ... that is awesome! Love the name too. I wonder how folks come up with such neat names for plants? I would not make a good hybridizer of plants ... I have trouble naming our pets!

What is that plant to the right? Looks like a Nematanthus.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Honey's Paintbrush
This is wearing me out running to see what the names are (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I have at least 12 different nematanthus growing where someone gives me one or two cuttings..............I may have to dump them all in the same pot and let them grow (LOL)
This is Irish Flirt......one of the new ones obviously

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this is called Winner Green ????????????

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Buckey's Spoon was grown from a leaf.........what a waste of time

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will finish tomorrow with pics. I post so many pics that administration must have a limit at one time because everytime I reach past a point of too many posts, the site won't let me add another............the computer just freezes ..................weird..........ya' think they are tired of all these pictures I take????? (LOL)

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Kim,
Way to go Girl.... Keep blooming girl....
susan

South, TX

ha, well, we sure aren't tired of your pictures! Wonderful flowers and plants! SO pretty!

South, TX

I love all of the plants posted. It is just wonderful to grow them and to see others!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree... They are super... Just beautiful....
Sue

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

WOW, ladies you are all such fantastic growers!
It's going to be a cool, ,wet Sunday today here in Maine and hopefully I will be able to post some pictures. They won't be of blooms, but maybe some baby shots or something. Most of my plants are VERY small and I don't have many large, blooming size ones right now but I am truly enjoying watching them grow from little ones. It's alot of work taking care of these little ones though as they seem to dry out much faster than a large potted plant does due to the fact that they are in 1 oz. tiny condiment cups *lol*
Lin, I think it's natural that your Mutiflora blasted it's blooms twice. I say this because I took your cutting and Gram's cutting at the same exact time. She was getting discouraged because hers kept blasting it's blooms too. She just now got her first blooms that didn't blast and now has decided she will keep the plant *lol*. I think they have to get mature and strong enough to hold the buds before they will actually bloom without blasting them. They know when they are strong enough to hold the buds. You are DEFINITELY going to get flowers from those! I just staked the mother plant yesterday with larger stakes as she was trying to bend at the top from being too tall. She is putting out another side arm which I will cut this fall and root. I want to fill the pot a little more now. I always take the cuttings and root them and give them away as it truly is one of my all time favorite hoyas. It just WANTS to bloom and I have always had a hard time getting hoyas to bloom for me.
Well, once I get my housework done I hope to come back and play a little later today :)

Always,
Kim

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

A quick good morning to everyone! I need to go get dressed! But I am going to finish pictures because I bought one in bloom!
She is Rebel's Rosebud

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think this is Sunrise

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Orange Sherbet

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty bloom.... House work ???? What is that????
Sue

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Shenendoah's Shooting Stars

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm not doing housework today for sure!
Shenendoah's Sugar Plum never quits blooming!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Self watering pots? Anyone use them? I have several and I don't I am not sure how they work and I am afraid of killing my plants.... Any help out there to make me feel better?
Susan

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Gail,
Are these streps you are showing? Very Pretty.
Susan

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Are Sunrise & Orange Sherbert Sinns?
Do all Sinns. go dormant like the Sinn Gloxinia? At least I think it's supposed to go dormant - I recently bought my first of those.
Susan- are your self-watering pots the glazed ceramic two-part kind? If so, the trick to those is to not put the water level up too high in the reservour( I know that's not spelled right but just can't think of it right now!LOL) If it's too high it keeps the plant too wet.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Kim those are the types.. I problem is I am getting some of my leafs wet and they are looking yucky.. I have about 6 of these and I use them to put them (AV,s) in but do not use the pot for what it is suppose to be used for.... Thanks... Would you just leave the way it is or try to use the pots?
Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am on my way out the door but had to take a picture of my blooming jasmine at the back door for Mrs.Bonnie!

Do ya' like my garbage sack, too????? I have to to haul off my garbage in the back of my car every day about 2 miles to dump it in a bin.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

So are you saying you just sit the plants in the pot without potting it in there and putting water in the bottom part? I do that sometimes just for the look of it. LOL
Diane

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

The biggest mistake we all do is put african violets and other gessies in too big of a pot. I have 12" across african violets still in 3" squatty pots. I don't use those self watering pots as I just wick everything.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Pretty Gail! Which Jasmine is that?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Does anyone use capillary matting or acrylic blanket material in the bottom of whatever you are growing leaves in? I just use solo cups with wicking and sit them in a tray with a dome and when they need watering..........I just pour some on the blanket material and they soak it up..........

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know...............but it is the evergreen one................never loses it foliage even in the winter................could it be confederate jasmine????? ProfessorLin, where are you?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

wow...I don't get on here for a day and look at the the pretties I missed seeing..

Great looking plants gail,those sinns are so cute..really starting to love siningias.Those streps look amazing and you have some really pretty av's there!!

Dimmer,such pretty av;s..I really love the variegation on that one..who care if no blooms with leaves like that!

Lin,Those are some Stunning Av's..love them all but really lovin' colossals blooms!

Susan,I have a few of those 2 part ceramic self watering pots..with me..I find my larger av's like them the best..way too big for minis!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.