CLOSED: Identify this bird, please! Vol 9.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/832470/

Here's a newcomer to my yard today. He has a sort of rusty head, white eyebrow, and yellow on his rump and under the chin. I'm not familiar with him. Maybe a sort of warbler?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Palm Warbler.

Resin

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh! I just looked him up. He's not supposed to be in Iowa, I don't think! More of those migrating birds I guess, but the migration pattern in my book doesn't show him going over Iowa.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Maybe mine from the other day made a lefthand turn! LOL

Klamath River, CA

I heard rumors that the Blue Heron had returned to their nest at Scott River so I hot footed down there only to find an empty nest.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

While I was there I got some long range pics of an Osprey.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

cc

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

A Brewer's Blackbird,

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

And a Bullock's Oriole.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

adel, your in the wrong thread dear!

Klamath River, CA

bb

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

There goes that CRS again!

This message was edited Apr 26, 2008 12:03 PM

Quoting:
but the migration pattern in my book doesn't show him going over Iowa

Sibley maps Palm Warblers as passing through Iowa (and west to half way across Nebraska, too). They breed in Canada west to Alberta.

Resin

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I should probably buy the Sibley guide, then. I have a National Geographic guide from 1999, and "Birds of Iowa" by Stan Tekiela (2000). The latter is a fairly small book and doesn't cover most of these migrating birds I am currently seeing.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Just saw another (I think) warbler. I think my new property has a sign on the roof that says "warblers stop here" because I have never seen any in 6 years of living in Iowa, and now I am seeing them nonstop! Of course, being rural now, that helps a lot. I didn't get a pic of this one, but it had the same small yellow patch on the flanks as the yellow-rumped, but no yellow spot on the head that I could see through the binox. I thought it was the yellow-rumped female, but couldn't see if it had the yellow rump or not - only the flank bit (which was a pretty small yellow area). But, it had a very starkly speckled breast - not the sort of dull brown shown in my National Geographic guide. It was very dark speckles on white, more like the male. I'm wondering if it might be the female Myrtle Warbler, which seems to be a subspecies of the yellow-rumped, but she seems to have a small yellow head spot. Perhaps it's not very noticeable? Any thoughts?

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Is this a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher?

Thumbnail by tigerlily

Nope, it's a Nashville Warbler. Nice one to get, though!

Resin

Seward, NE

When do hummingbirds come back in to Nebraska?
I enjoyed them so much last year and can't wait to see them again this year.
Before last year I never knew I had them here.
I accidentally saw one in my red cannas and started putting nectar out for them.
Last year I had at least 10 hummers.
These are ruby throats.
I just wish I knew when to start putting nectar out for the little beauties.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Now!

http://hummingbirds.net/map.html

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Resin. That what I thought when I took the photos, but then it just didn't quite look right.

Klamath River, CA

A pic of a Golden-crowned Sparrow I took at Scott River yesterday.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

And a Common Merganzer on the Klamath River on the way home.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

I did it again!!!!!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

OMG adel! lol!

ROTFL. ((hugs)) adel

Marlton, NJ

Aw we love ya adel!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

AHAAAAAA! You are special adel! :)

Klamath River, CA

Thanks all. I thought I'd better respond before I forgot what I was responding to.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Huh?..What'd I miss?!! LOL..Adel...I enjoy your pics any thread you post them!!

Well we all can laugh because it happens to all of us!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well, I think I have yet another warbler. I don't think this one is the same as the ones you have helped me identify last week (yellow-rumped and palm). He seems much yellower on his head and chest. I'm wondering if it is a pine warbler, based on my book. He does look quite a bit like the picture in my National Geographic guide. Another migrator, I think.
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Saint Paul, MN

Okay these pictures are really bad, but you guys are soooo good I am sure you will be able to help. This bird is bigger than a finch and smaller than a robin. The next picture will have a bird that came and sat along side this one. I don't know if they are related. This is the best I can do tonight.

Thumbnail by jo11
Saint Paul, MN

The other bad picture.

Thumbnail by jo11
Marlton, NJ

I could be wrong but the one on the left looks like a male Brown-headed Cowbird.

Saint Paul, MN

Thanks Pelletory-- I thought it might be a cowbird, but I have never had one before to my knowledge. It is probably nothing to get too excited about, but I am in the middle of the city, so any new bird is a delight. I knew you guys could help me!!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Is this a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak?

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Yes it is! Congratulations!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks :-) I had 1 male that stopped on the way thru last spring and fall but this is the first female I've seen. Maybe the male will remember me this spring too!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Still wondering about my maybe-pine-warbler.... (8 posts up)...

Marlton, NJ

Hi CMoxin, Would you mind waiting for Resin, I'm not very good with Warblers and I don't want to just guess.
He will be here tomorrow. Hope thats okay. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.