Can you please help me ID this azalea?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I transplanted this from my mother's yard at least 15 years ago, and it had to have been growing there for a good while. I love it. I have two of them. I am guessing they are common.

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a close-up of the flowers.

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

i dont know but that is a cool plant. love the littel threads that the flowers hang on. cute!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

It may be a lighter shade, but could that be "The pride of mobil" ?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- that is certainly a contender! The photos in plantfiles are a little pinker than mine -- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68329/. But then again, MY photo of my azalea looks pinker than it is! One of the photos in plantfiles has a double flower, though, and mine is clearly single. I assume that photo is a mismatch. I'll try and hunt down that azalea to do a comparison.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

But on second look, I don't think that is it. The reason is that I found this site: http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/azxEglEst.html#ElegansSuperbum. It gives as alternate names two names that include the word "Watermelon." Mine doesn't look remotely like the color of watermelon.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I had one of those at my house in Louisiana. Never knew the name but I loved it. Yours is very pretty.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I love it, even if I don't have a clue what it is. I've been propagating it, so soon my yard will be full of it . . . .

When I took a cutting of this, I was told it was "pride of Mobil", but isn't, it is too dark.I still don't know, but love it just the same. Maybe we could exchange cuttings.Mine is almost droped all its blooms, except for the shader area.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love to exchange cuttings -- if you can root yours first! My luck on rooting azaleas isn't good, unless I just stick a brick on a branch pinning it to the ground and return many months later!

Now your photo does indeed look like watermelon.

Never thaught of that, but it does look like watermellon.Yes, I can root the cuttings, but it takes about 6 weeks, for a good root system.Mike

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'll root you one if you like!

Most of my blooms have dropped, and in a couple of weeks, I'll start 12 cuttings, and they should be ready by july.Mike

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

might it be one called "helen"? I'll post some pictures. From what I've seen of it before, it tends to have a looser more open habit.

close up of flower.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I don't own one, but I knew where to go get a picture. however, it's the oldest plant on the place I could find.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That looks very much like it. Ours is fuller and larger though, but that could just be a matter of location. I'll try to find one locally for comparison. Many thanks for the lead.

Googling it, I find azaleas named "Helen Close" (white), "Helen Gunning" (mauve with white centers), "Helen Curtis" (white), "Mary Helen" (white), but no plain "Helen." I'm sure there is an azalea identifier, but I don't know where.

well, I thought about maybe mentioning the similar names. It is none of those. Truly just "Helen" plain and simple. I'll see if I can find something out there on it.

well, I take that back, it could be a synonym with helen gunning, I haven't seen that one. anyhow, maybe we'll get to the bottom of it!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.