Non toxic hoses

Mountain Home, AR

I'm looking for soaker hoses that are graded O.K. for human consumption for my organic veggie beds. Anyone have a source? Some hoses say Not OK for drinking water right on the tag. Who knows what kind of chemicals are involved here, and I would like to avoid them. Nanadee

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I am surprised that no one has chimed in on this, as I am interested in that, as well.

I found this link:

http://www.metaefficient.com/gardening/lead-free-garden-hoses.html

It mentions marine / camper hoses. Having owned a camper that came to mind immediately. But that is not a SOAKER hose.

Here's my Google search:

[Edited to remove the Link which does not work]

Check out that first entry!!

Someone with first hand knowledge, though, would be great!

This message was edited Jul 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

OOPS!

Google link worked out wrongly!!

Try this one

[Edited to remove the Link which does not work AGAIN!! :-) ]

This message was edited Jul 12, 2008 12:38 PM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

The link keeps getting chopped off in the thread filter

www.google.com/search num=100&hl=en&q=%2Borganic+%22soaker+hose%22&btnG=Search

It chops everything off after organic.

What I add to the Google search box is:

+organic "soaker hose"

with the + and the quotes.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

The first hit to show up in Google should be:

GrowOrganic: Soaker Hose Supplies from GrowOrganic.com

Here's that link:

http://www.groworganic.com/cgy_417.html?welcome=T&theses=3149076

[Edited to say: "WHEW!" Finally!]

This message was edited Jul 12, 2008 12:39 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't see anywhere that it says those are drinking water safe, but it says it's made from recycled tires which would suggest to me that it's probably not, there are chemicals in tire rubber that I think would prevent them from being used for potable water. Just because it's from an organic growers supply doesn't necessarily mean it's drinking water safe. The organic growing standards I think focus more on things like fertilizers and pesticides. I don't think they specify that you have to use hoses that are drinking water safe, that is a personal choice that Nanadee is making.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, Exactly.

And, I see how that wasn't clear at all. I didn't mean to imply that the link was thee source for stuff, or for anything. Just was having trouble with the thread auto editing my link showing what I had searched in google and what the first hit on google to show up should be.

I am with Nanadee wanting to know what "soaker" type hose is drinking water safe for organic gardens and interested in a recommendation based on personal? experience, and not just have to go on what is claimed on a web store ad. Just starting to look for info.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've honestly never seen a soaker hose that claimed to be drinking water safe, I guess most of the people who make them figure people aren't drinking out of their soaker hoses so there's no need to make them safe for that. So if you really want to water your garden with drinking water safe hoses, you may have to go with a regular (non-soaker) hose since those definitely do come in drinking water safe versions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.