where to buy lge maples and a weeping willow....

Vulcan, MI

I need to buy maple trees and willow tree for new home.....upper mi / green bay wi / appleton wi

area. Anyone know a good tree farm / nursery?

Thanks in advance, Lizzie

Indianapolis, IN

www.lawyernursery.com

They look really great with a massive selection. They have about 40 different maples and about 25 types of willows. There are two things about them though that you should know...

1) They sell in bundles, some trees have bundles of 5 but some of 50 but they are good prices.

2) The minium order is $200.

If you are wanting just a few trees then they will not work, I plan out of this big city soon and once that happens I will be ordering so many trees from them...lol.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

lizzie:

Don't know too many frigid north nurseries, but one I do know and respect that will have quality large specimens of many types of trees is Johnson's Nursery in the Milwaukee suburbs. That may be farther than you want to travel, but they grow great plants.

Wave at Kewaunee for me as you pass by; that's where my dad hails from.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

lizzie,

Just be careful of which maples you choose. Personally, after pulling up, spraying, mowing, weeding, you get the picture. . . . any maples I plant from here on out will be sterile. Best of luck. Pam

McMinnville, TN(Zone 7b)

I know of a great website (not as good as mine...lol) that will help you find what you are looking for. This is the Middle Tennessee Nursery Association or www.mtna.com for short. Here in this area, there are over 300 named nurseries and tons of mom & pop growers with a couple of acres out back with liners in them.

The MTNA site will help you differentiate the retailers from the wholesalers, and also the liner nurseries from the larger balled & bulapped trees and shrubs.

I hope this helps. Its the referal that we give out to customers that are looking for older more mature trees, that way we don't just give kudos to just one nursery, but all of them!

Happy Planting!

Montclair, NJ

I've recently discovered the National Arbor Day Foundation as a great source of inexpensive trees. They sell all sorts of Maples, and have 165 trees in their tree catalogue. The trees you get as a freebie are teeny, but you can get 3-4 foot seedlings for about $10 each (if you join). I just bought a tulip tree, and got a red maple free. They have weeping willows, http://www.arborday.org/shopping/trees/TreeDetail.cfm?ID=30 If you want a bunch of trees and have more time than money, it's very economical.

Hello lizzie1944,
I'm up by you. Our Dickinson Conservation District has a spring tree and herbaceous perennial sale that has some real quality plants and they did have maples as well as other trees you might really like. Maybe hang onto this phone number for next year- 906.774.8441 They do have nice plants and I think you would be very pleased. You can stop in by the station just west of you off US2 and pick up literature for next year. Very good prices. One nursery I think that stocks the Conservation District is J.W. Toumey Nursery and you can reach them at 906.932.1330. I forgot how I got there but they're also right off of US2 in the Ottawa Natl. Forest Area and they give tours and somebody is usually there to talk to you if you want a little bit of advice. I've found them to be most helpful. They won't sell anything to you though. Unfortunately, about the only plants around us other than what WalMart and K-Mart offer over in Iron Mountain would be what the conservation districts offer in their spring plant sales and you missed those by about a month. Actually, the Community Bay College's horticultural department might have some seedlings for sale. Other than that, I mail order all of my plants for up north from Reeseville Ridge Nursery over in Reeseville WI. I think they might even have a website now but here's there plant inventory-
http://www.wegrowit.com/Reeseville/ReesevilleRidgeCatalog.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.