Soil Heating Cable Erratic

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Around 6 years ago I bought the longest best quality Charlie's Greenhouse heating cable and the thermostat that had to be purchased separately. I use it in a 4' x 16' hot frame buried in sandy soil.

The capillary tube has to be repositioned each spring when I turn it back on and it usually takes about three days to get it set at the temperature I want the first time. After that it holds steady unless I decide to adjust it a little differently for the seeds, which is then easy to do.

I have dug the cable out twice, carefully, when I had to move the hot frame for various reasons. The last time was three years ago.

This year it is behaving erratically. After it is holding at the correct temp, it will at some point stop heating, and then let the temperature drop. It does not recover on its own. I have to tinker with the thermostat control and readjust it. Then it is ok for a day or three until it stops heating and I go through the fiddling with the control again.

What is going wrong here? Do I just need a new thermostat? Is something going funky with the cable itself? How do I tell? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help, I am a bit frustrated since it has been so steady and easy in the past.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A thermostat is like a switch, it's either on or off. You may want to check the terminals where the wires are connected into the stat. Since it is a humid environment, use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol & clean the connections. It would be weird for the thermostat to work sometimes, so corrosion might be the culprit. My guess it's a snap acting stat & they are very cheap to replace. The stat will probably be millvolt or 24V, which you will need to know to replace it. Don't get a digital stat because the screen will freeze & then the thermostat won't work.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh thanks! I will try that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.