Aristolochia Ringens - (Pelican Flower/Dutchman's Pipe)

Winter Park, FL

This is a massive vine - and it's almost impossible to control .......... but I love it so I put up with it. It does not bloom continuously - but rather in spurts. I was trimming it today - and noticed some flowers; I've been waiting to photograph it and put it online for your pleasure ........... or dismay ! Heaviest bloom period is in autumn when the first cool weather sets in. I may have some seed. I think the flowers are simply delightful - and they all bloom upright the way they are in the picture.

John

Thumbnail by Johntique
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Johntique, looks delightful! I have some seeds growing for the first time, hopefully they'll do well in this part of the country! Clem

Phoenix, AZ

That is really something! I've never seen that one before.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

Being new to this forum and to gardening, I just read your post. I have become fascinated by this plant. Does it drop its leaves in the winter here in Mandeville LA (zone 8b)? I assume it will come back in the spring. I have a long fence in full sun that could use something unique like this.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kaye C

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Plant Files lists it as only being hardy to zone 10, so I think you'd have to bring it in for the winter if you want it to survive http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63662/

Winter Park, FL

Greetings Kaye ............

All of the Aristolochias are tropical vines; most of them will tolerate temperatures down to 28 degrees farenheit; below that - you take your chances. They have extensive root systems which will survive moderately light freezes. I have had some leaf damage at just below 30 degrees - but they always bounce right back when the weather warms up. I do not believe you can grow this in your zone unless you provide some serious winter protection. I question whether container culture is an option - unless it's a huge container - which might be a problem to move. Additionally ......... you'de have to cut back the vine to move it.

It might be worth a try just to see what happens!

John

Winnsboro, TX

Oh my goodness John, I'm so glad you told me to come look at this site. I want to be one of the first people in line to receive some of your seeds from this plant this fall.

I'm sure I can find several places around here that it would be stunning and showcase it well.

Great pictures as always.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Johntique glad you mentioned that Autumn is flowering time for the A. Ringens. No flowers on my vine this season. A bit upsetting.........no Polydamus larvae either! Surprising! However, the A. Gibertii vine has a family of 9 so I cant complain. I've sent quite a few A. seeds out to people and believe they are not the easiest to germinate. Have you found this to be true?

Thumbnail by bedouin
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

John & Bedouin -

Did you grow your vines from seeds? May I ask where you purchased yours from? I currently have the A. Littoralis growing like gangbusters and am currently germinating A. Debilis and am interested in looking for other varieties. These vines are so interesting and there is the plus side of having all those butterflies!

floridabunnie, I bought mine from Butterfly World, Pompanppo. I dont have any seeds on hand as I've given them all away. Quite a few people mentioned they were hard to germinate, but someone posted that she had put hers in the frige for a while, then later had a very high rate of germination. The only A. vine I've grown from seed has been A. Fimbriata. I just scattered the seeds in a pot, mixed the soil a bit, firmed it down and had a pretty good germination as a result. The A. Fimbriata seeds are certainly quite different from those of A. Ringens and A. Gibertii. A. Fimbriata are pretty hard-shelled as apposed to the more fragile 'butterfly winged' A. R. and A.G.

By the way I has 6 huge Polydamus larvae on the P. Gibertii recently. Delighted to see them munching away at the vine!

Winter Park, FL

Greetings Bunnie and all ............

As has already been said ....... germination of seed is difficult at best. A month in the refrigerator is a great help.

I am not sure where I bought my original plants, but I may have purchased one of them from Kartuz Greenhouses in California.

I am currently waiting for seed pods on A. Elegans to mature; let me know if you want any and I'll send you some seed. A. Ringens usually sets seed later in the season - and I'll post when I have some available.

A. Braziliensis is an extremely complex flower; an insect must become trapped within the structure to pollinate the flower. I have never had this happen, and although I've tried to hand pollinate the blossoms - I haven't had any luck. I have also found that cuttings must be quite woody in order to root - which necessitates destroying a good section of the vine. This is a difficult cultivar to find - but It's out there to be found if you really want one. It took me 2 years to get this species.

John

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Bedouin -

thanks for the info, I have been wanting to go over to butterfly world and have heard it is a great place to visit, now I have another reason to go. I will look for it when I visit.

John -

If you have a few A. Elegans seeds to spare I would love a few and would gladly pay for postage etc.

Do you have your A. Fimbriata in a hanging basket as most places suggest? Thank you both for the germination info. I have just started getting into these plants and could use all of the help and info I can get.

Hey guys, I planted muy seeds in my GH early spring, they are still struggling, but have shown some growth, This is my first time growing them and I want them to grow as nice as Johntique's, Clemen

cmdelg, Garden City. Long Island? Great place to live. Lots of good memories there!

Yes bedouin, and taxes growing out of our ears! LOL, once my babies are out of the shcools, well, we're out of here, even in the worse neighborhood taxes $$$$$$$$$$ thousands, not one, two, or ten, oh boy, jus iimagine for normal looking houses! ,
Where did you live here?

Clemen

Clemen, First in the 3rd Place then Claydon Road. I certainly had my issues with some of the teaches, but on the whole, good schools!

Checked my Aristolochia vines today and not one larvae to be seen. Where the 6 Polydames larvae cacooned is anyones guess! I've seen the P. butterflies flitting around the garden, so I expect more eggs to hatch in the near future.

A pic of A. Fimbriata, the mini A.

Thumbnail by bedouin
Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

And in comparison to the above, here is Aristolochia brasiliensis, a giant. These measure between 12-16". They have a very interesting odor. They grow on a huge trellis next to out back gate & when you walk into the back yard all you smell is Lemon Pledge!

Thumbnail by popper1

Bedouin, very familiar with third and Claydon, I am on Stratford Ave and Lee rd, lovely wide st. Love your pic lady!
Popper, yours is lovely too!
Johntique, need more pics of yours please! Clemen

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Do all pipevine seeds need to be refrigerated prior to planting? I recieved a few fimbriata and elegans seeds. Just wondering exactly how to start them...

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 1:07 PM

This message was edited Jun 19, 2008 1:08 PM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

No, they can just be started

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ohhh I love yours! do you have any helpful hints on seed collecting...I have yet to find any ...I am growing Aristoclochia gigantea....I absolutely love this vine...it is def. an ice breaker when folks come to visit and they see it on the trellis out front...now if I only had a buck for each person who has mumbled..."what the heck is that" LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm a happy recipient of bedouin's generosity...the a. ringens seeds that I received germinated with no problem. Likewise the telosma cordata seeds and the brunfelsia nitida...thanks again!

I have some Aristolochia species vines going and hope to see these flowers in person sometime. Do they typically flower up in their 2nd year?

Joseph

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

I think it depends more on the species and on the plant reaching a certain size.

Winter Park, FL

Greetings .........

All of my Aristolochias flowered at two years old - and that includes wintering with a low of 28 degrees. Fortunately - we have at least eight months of summer type weather per year. I don't know about wintering in Delaware (indoors???) - but I would give them another year if you aren't in zone 9a or above.

John

Thanks, John, I do overwinter the non-hardy Aristolochia indoors. I may see flowers on my elegans this year, yay! I much appreciate the information John and popper.

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.