Well, Joey's lame today :-(

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Had training today and Joey was being a brat from the very second we put the halter on him. I didn't think much about it cause it's Joe were talking about here. He's either really good or he's being Joe. Got into the ring and started lounging him and he was ignoring me so she told me to start changing directions every half circle which ticked him off and he started throwing his head around and crowding me. Suddenly she says "he's lame". huh? He's lame as in mentally or physically? (I only asked because he was being a jerk today. He even nipped my arm on the way to the round pen.) She said physically. Guess I couldn't see it cause it was only when he was in a smaller circle, almost on top of me (cause he was being a jerk) that he would start limping but on the wider circles, he was fine. We feel up and down both legs and pick up his feet. No lumps, bumps or heat and nothing in his feet. She takes off his halter and sends him running around the ring and he's fine. She puts it back on him and turns him in very small circles and he almost falls down. She said to watch for an abscess cause it has to be on the outside of his hoof to only bother him when in a tight circle. I haven't dealt with an abscess yet so I have no clue what I'm looking for but you better believe I'll be checking him constantly for lumps, bumps and heat and my vet is coming out at noon tomorrow unless I call her back to come sooner.
So, we quit early today and I had the trainer help me measure him since I don't feel I could get him accurately measured by myself with him wiggling around. She was going to bring her measuring stick but forgot it so we used my tape. I must have been standing on the tape in the wrong spot when I measured him last (and had asked her to help me measure him since I suspected the height was off looking at him next to Missy). Since I have to typically move the tape 2 or 3 times as he's moving to get it up to him, it's harder to get his height than his weight and turns out I was a whole hand off. He's 13hh instead of 14. I must have moved it at one point so I was standing on the 1 instead of the line on the tape.
She also took some pics of me and Joe since I basically have none :-) Here we are :-P Me and my frizzy hair and Joey and his pretty new rope halter. I still can't get over how much he's the spitting image of Allie.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
This thread has 38 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!