Apricot greggi

Ripley, MS

I bought this salvia last fall and it had put out new leaves this year when I had to have some help raking the winter mulch out of the beds. It must have been dislodged and by the time I saw it it was dead.
I am not begging for more--just would like to know if anyone else has it and is it very hard to keep alive. I paid 18.00 for the quart size pot, I would really like to have some more of it, but I would like some input as to how hardy it really is before I put that much money in another.
Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never grown the apricot one (unless maybe the cultivar name of yours is 'Sierra de San Antonio' in which case I do have it), but at least in my climate all the other S. greggii cultivars are super easy to take care of. In terms of winter hardiness I think as long as you're at least in zone 7 it ought to be fine, they're hardy to zone 6. I'm not sure if it would enjoy being mulched in winter though, I know you're not supposed to cut the stalks down during the winter because the stems are hollow and moisture can get in, so I wonder if mulching over it would keep it too wet for the winter and kill it? I really don't know for sure since I don't have to protect them at all here but it's definitely a possibility. If yours is 'Sierra San Antonio', I have found that it hasn't grown as vigorously as my other greggii's and microphylla's (I think it's actually a cross between microphylla and greggii) but it doesn't seem any harder to keep alive.

Ripley, MS

This oone was only labeled Apricot Greggi, it did have thick harder stems, than most salvias. Looked more like a small shrub type.
It was a beautiful apricot colored bloom. The salvia was alive before my help raked the beds out and then it started to wilt, I saw it was partially out of the ground and I reburied it, but it has not put back out again.
I got it at Gardens OyVey in TN. I really want to replace it, just wanted to see if anyone else thought it worth the 18.00. I am not a skin flint, but just don't have that much extra money, I also took a few cutting from it when I first got it and they did not root.
I sure wish they had now.
Thanks
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, it's probably not the same as mine then. Most of the greggii's will get woody as they get older and will become shrubby if you don't prune them so that sounds normal. If it made it through your winter and was just victim of an unfortunate accident then I think it's worth replacing--I've honestly never seen much of a difference in any of the greggii's in terms of how easy they are to grow so I don't think this one would be any trickier than the others.

Ripley, MS

Thanks, I am going to be on the lookout for another, it was in bloom when I bought it, or I would have never paid that for it, it was so pretty--lol
Sandra

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Sandra I will have some seeds on my desert sunset greggii soon, it is one of the more hardier greggiis for me,It will be a lot cheaper than buying a plant, seeds are starting to set now, it may not be the apricot colour you are chasing though, just lmk:)

Thumbnail by annette68

Does Gardens OyVey have a replacement policy?

Candor, NC

The only apricot type greggii I know of is Salvia x jamensis Pat Vlasto. Does it look like this image?

There are a number of other yellow and orange greggii types. The mostly yellow ones are Cienega de Oro, La Luna, Moonlight, and one of the Stampede series (Citron, I think). The other yellow-orange is California Sunset, and others include La Tarda, with yellow-light fuchsia.

Orange ones include Peach La Encantada (which I am looking for), x jamensis Devanteville, and Lowry's Peach.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Thousand Oaks, CA

This is slightly off topic, because the flower on this one is more coral than apricot, but can anyone tell me if they recognize this as a named cultivar?

Thumbnail by shushinggrasses
Ripley, MS

Annette, that is a beautiful one, but it does not seem to be the one I lost,
Gerris, I would not ask them to replace as it is my faultit died. It was fine until it got raked out of its hole !! I didn't notice it for a couple of days and it was too late.
Like I said the only tag it had said Apricot Greggi.
I think I will go and see if Gardens Oyvey has a picture on their site.
Sandra

Ah, I missed that part...sorry. I mourn the loss of a salvia for a short while, then consider it a chance to grow something different that might be more hardy in its place.

Ripley, MS

Yes, I do with other plants, but I had just gotten this one last fall--boo hoo snif snif
I didn't even get to know it well yet--LOL
Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.