Trying to identify an unusual gold, fluffy floweredperennial

Somers, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi. I purchased a plant last year and it has not sprouted - I hope it has made it through the winter. It did not have a label, but I believed it to be a rudbeckia or perhaps a heliopsis. It was about 18" tall and had lots of 1" fluffy, gold flowers that resembeled a kerria japonica. Any idea what it might be?
Thanks, Joyce

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

well, to me when I think of kerria I don't think of fluffy. So, the flower that comes to mind for me when I think of kerria is a coreopsis. When it comes to fluffy yellow flowers, there's a lot. And the a lot of varieties of coreopsis. Can you post a picture? if not....we'll keep guessins :-p Actually there are a couple of varieties of coreopsis that are a little fluffy....

Thumbnail by redchic01

another photo and a link to a coreopsis image page.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=coreopsis&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-340&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=21&ni=20

Thumbnail by redchic01
Somers, NY(Zone 6b)

Nope, not a correopsis. I had never seen the flower before when I bought it, which is why I am so fascinated. Here is a link to the kerria that it resembles -> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54605/.

I think I found it in the plant files. I believe it is Heliopsis Asahi -> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/137186/

Thanks for the guesses. :-)

Joyce

ohh wow, nice plant. I would've never thought of heliopsis since I hadn't seen the double form. It's pretty!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Wow, that's a wonderful plant. I'd love to have one. I have never seen one for sale around here but now I have something to look for.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm going to say it's a coreopsis (or Tickseed) as well. The leaves don't look right to be a Heliopsis Asahi.

Here's a close-up of one I grew in my garden last year. Unfortunately, we got so much rain last year that it drowned. I'll post a second pic showing the whole plant so you can compare leaves.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the whole plant picture for you.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

definitly coreopsis

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think there's some confusion...there's no picture on this thread of the plant in question...some people have posted pics of their own coreopsis plants (which they know are coreopsis) as a suggestion, but we don't have a picture of jhochges' plant, and they said earlier after the first person posted a coreopsis pic that the plant in question is not a coreopsis.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I agree. I think they are confusing the coreopsis pictures posted in this thread thinking that that is the plant in question, but it isn't. The heliopsis asahi that Joyce posted from the plant files is way different looking than coreopsis. Joyce---I wish you could take a pic of your own plant. That would be fun for us to see.

Somers, NY(Zone 6b)

The good news is that the mystery plant has sprouted. I will try to remember to post a picture when it blooms later in the summer. I am quite certain it is the Heliopsis Asahi. I appreciate all of the feedback and will promise to post pictures with mystery plants in the future. :-)

I do not have sprouts of four other plants that were new to my garden last summer - Agastachi Tutti Frutti, Salvia Wild Thing, Achillea Angel's Breath and Rudbeckia Triloba. I look every day, of course. Hopefully they will make an appearance soon. They should make it here in zone 6. We had a few dry weeks and finally received a substantial rainfall yesterday - whew!

what zone are you in? I know that my rudbeckia is only marginal here...zone 7a. Most years it comes back, but some years it doesn't and I just have to hope that it reseeded. The moles love to dig at the root system of any agastache that I plant. They usually kill them within 6 months or so of my planting them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.