Update on our herd

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We have been busy lately. Folks in the hospital so lots of trips there. Have also been busy with the horses. All the regular work and riding a few of ours and a few for friends. Young horses and horses that haven't been ridden in quite a long time. The kind of riding where you don't relax for a minute. But it's all fun.

We moved Ginger and Cream back to the old farm. Our friend James still rents the place but he doesn't have any animals on it now. That leaves 300 acreas (sp?) of graze going to waste. It's also relatively flat so it's great for Ginger's legs.

Gypsy has been sold to a very good home in WV. She is still with us and we are not sure when she will be picked up. We will be sad to see her go. She is a real sweetheart and so easy to deal with but it is in her best interest. She hardly gets ridden and stays in the barn too much. She has started to crib and kick the walls out of boredom. She has toys but she is young and needs to move around a lot more. The teenaged girl she is going to really loves her. The girl is just learning to ride and Gypsy will be perfect for her. They will be taking lessons together. They have built a new barn and have plenty of turnout. The girl is 15 yo and on the heavy side so she needs a horse of Gypsy's build. We didn't have plans to sell Gypsy but they drove 3 1/2 hours to see her not even knowing what the price would be. Gypsy is one of DH's favorites but he wants what is best for her even though he has cried over losing her. We will keep in touch with the family so we can keep track of Gypsy's progress. I think we are going to take her up to the farm tomorrow to keep Ginger company. She will enjoy the grass and the freedom.

We also sold Cream yesterday afternoon. We had never intended to keep her. We just wanted to rescue her from her awful situation and get her into a good home. We found a great home for her. The young man fell in love with her picture and when he met her and rode her he was hooked. We delivered her for him and he was brushing her when we left. All his family and friends came to see her. They were all as excited as if a new baby had been born into the family. I rode his wife's horse for her while we were there. She is a very nice little mare. His wife is just learning to ride and the horse was having it's way a bit too much. She rode her after I worked the horse a bit and she did very good. I will likely go ride her a bit more and we may all trail ride together this summer. They are very nice people. One of the trails that starts by our barn goes to their house.

Granny still has not foaled. She is starting to have a good bit of milk but it changes from day to day. She is really getting heavy. She misses Ginger. I am trying to spend more time with her. The other horses would be too rough with her so she can't be turned out with any of them. I also think she has a bit of a sight deficit so that isolates her also. You have to be very mindful of speaking to her as you approach her or it really scares her.

We stayed at the barn all night Monday because Buddy had been trying to colic. Sent DD to the vets office for a couple of banamine shots but ended up not needing them. I checked on him all through the night and he did fine. He had been turned out to graze for about 10 minutes while I cleaned his stall. When he came back in he wouldn't touch his feed or hay. He is such a chow hound it immediately raised a red flag so I watched him. He was turning up his lip, cocking his tail and turning around to look at his stomach. That's when we sent for the meds. Left him in the barn hall for about 45 minutes. Turned him back into his stall and he ate like nothing was wrong. I felt better staying with him, though. Don't know what it was but I'm sure glad he got better.

That's the news for now.

Here is a pic of my friends foal. He was 3 weeks the day this was taken. And quite a rogue from what they tell me. They are thinking of calling him Rebel for his rebelious streak. LOL

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
This thread has 32 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!