Dahlias in Georgia

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Are Dahlias hardy in Georgia? I didn't notice any zone information in pfs.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine do fine and I have them in sun and part shade, In the Winter I cut them back to ground level and cover with pine straw. Hope this helps,
Pheadra

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi, Deb! I just have a couple kinds of little dahlias, & I never do anything to them but fertilize 2 x year along with most everything else, & cut off dead foliage & flowers! They keep coming back - just what I like - flowers that thrive on neglect!!! Samantha

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I am so glad you both leave yours in the ground! I sure didn't want to dig up tubers. This will be my first time growing Dahlias. How often do y'all divide the tubers. I read somewhere that they'll knot up after a few years and you'll notice less flowers. I guess that would be the time to dig up and divide. Just wondering if that's in one year or two or three etc.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I guess I haven't had mine long enough yet, or I haven't noticed fewer flowers - they've been in the ground 3-4 years, and were quite small when I planted them. I'll see what happens when they come up this year, but, that will be awhile, as I recall , they like it quite warm! Samantha

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

^_^

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

go to the chat room Deb...I want to talk to you...lol

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Cordeledawg, mine have been in the ground since '06 and performed beautifully even with my neglect. I tend to forget to cut the branches which you're supposed to do in order to have larger blossoms, however, there are approx 15 of them in that bed and besides everything else I have to do, they have to survive on neglect. I do keep them supported to metal stakes. When first planted I fed them with potato fertilizer and they seemed to like it. Will post pics later.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh I'd love to see pictures. I have several tubers that I haven't planted yet because I really don't know how to plant them. Do I plant them like a lily or a glad? I'm so glad to hear that I don't have to dig them up in the fall. What a relief!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

this is last years "kidd climax" and it has been in the ground for at least 4 years, I quess i better check his tubers this year and see how things are growing..I planted mine just like I do the lillies

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Bea...u..ti..ful!!!! That does it. I'm not putting it off a day longer. Mine will be in the ground first thing in the morning.

Thomson, GA

Cordeledawg, I planted my first Dahlias two summers ago and since then I have collected quite a few. I asked the same question you did here, and got the reply that the President of the GA dahlia association or some such left his in the ground, so that was good enough for me! I think drainage may be the most important issue. Most of mine I planted last year are sprouting now, those that are not have disappeared (rotted away). So I am planting my new acquisitions in the spots where the others vanished, but amending the soil a little better. Hopefully that will help. Last year I was chicken, and started a lot of them in pots to make sure they sprouted, then transferred them to the garden. The ones I tried to overwinter in pots did not make it. :( My fault for being lazy. Warning!!! Once you have a few of these blooming in your yard you think you must have to have them ALL!! They are quite addictive. Especially when people stop in front of your house to admire the dinnerplate sized beauties. LOL. And I love that they start blooming when most everything else is fizzling out.

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan, that must be the reason I hear so many people talk about their Dahlia beds. They collect them sorta kinda, and have them in a dedicated bed I guess. Well I'm up for the task. Can't wait! Kidd Climax in Georgiagarden3's picture is goreous isn't it! I see the addiction coming on.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Georgia, that is a beautiful flower. I'm curious to know if anyone in zone 7b with Dahlias? And do you dig yours out?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

LiliM-I grew them in 7a and 7b. Very easy and can be left in the ground. They do need a well amended soil. Clay is way too heavy. The only problems I had were critters would dig some and some would be lost to boring insects. Overall, they were very worthwhile and most came back.

Laurel

Thanks. Glad to know I don't have to dig them out, however I do have alot of animals in my area - deer (the worst), squirrel, chipmunk, foxes and racoons. May be I can put a net over the bulbs???

Thomson, GA

I have found cayenne pepper a wonderful deterrent when planting lilium and caladiums, so I'll bet it would help with dahlia tubers, too. I put them in a ziplock bag with a little powdered cayenne and shake 'em up before planting. I'll usually find a few dropped like they're hot! LOL. Nothing has eaten any of my dahlia tubers, thankfully. I am so excited to see them popping up all over the place this week. Yipppeee!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

does cayenne pepper deter Rabbits?

I'll try that.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I must be doing something wrong! I used to have a large lavender dahlia that did fine for years. Last year I bought 5 dwarf Dahlias "Honey". They all bloomed but 2 promptly died last summer and only 1 of the remaining 3 came back this year (and is about to bloom).

I think I read where Walter R said you have to spray dahlias here regularly. So I decided to skip it.....

Any problems like that for any of you?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine have been almost laid down by all the rain we've had but no complaints from me!! Here are pics of just a few of them

Thumbnail by bugme
Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

One called 'Leo Jelito' pretty yellow

Thumbnail by bugme
Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Pink one, forget her name

Thumbnail by bugme

Here is mine. I bloomed for in early June, then it stopped and now it's starting up again.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Pam, this is my first year for Dahlias and I plan to do what Sharon does, just cutting them down to the ground and cover with straw. I have buds! yea! Just crossing my fingers that they will come back again next year. Were your 5 tubers planted too deep maybe, or too close together? Just brainstorming why yours died. I'm so new to these plants I'm just no help.

These dahlias have so many different bloom shapes and colors that two side by side don't even look like they are from the same genius. Such a beautiful plant with some many different characteristics. Y'alls pictures are goreous! I can hardly wait for mine to open.

Deborah

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is Blue Angel Dahlia. I have had it in the ground for several years. It did not do very good this year. the buds kept rotting and turning to mush. Not sure if I overwatered it with sprinkler or what. It may need digging and separating.

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

amazing color!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I have two that have managed to come back and bloom year after year for me. I have planted MANY! I do not know why some of them just died and never returned. I have assumed it was because of the drought we have endured the past few years. They just never got truly established I think.

I love that blue!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

All of my Dahlias have very dark foliage. I'm not complaining though. They are a nice contrast to the plants around them. Are the dark leaves typical of all Dahlias or just the ones I happened to buy?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I think mine have the blue green leaves as well. I can spot them pretty easily when they begin to sprout, but I imagine there are other colored leaves as well. May depend on the ones you buy...how is that for a definitive answer...LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Well that's a good answer, Janet! Mine really stand out around my apple green weeds! LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean!!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I have lime green weeds..lol. My dahlias are pretty dark green leaves too. I only have a few. Have Red Pygmy which has done well in a tub. Also Sweetheart. Yes, I love the Blue Angel. It is really prettier than this. I need a new camera. Thanks for the compliments.
Debra, my butterfly weed is growing like crazy and I have little plants coming up too from the seeds.. I think of you every time I see them.
Elaine

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

So glad they are doing well for you Elaine. Let me know if those seeds bloom yellow plants like the mother plant. I sowed some seeds from my yellow too but it hasn't bloomed.

Ealine if that blue Dahlias is more beautiful in person as it is in the picture, girl please, it would make you have the sore eyes. LOL

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Will make a note to see if the babies are like their mummy plant. I didn't have the red/yellow one near it, so....we'll see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.