CLOSED: Newbie needs help on bird ID

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I know this would be easier if I could obtain a photo - but so far, I have not been able to get one. I have a small crested bird living in one of my bluebird houses - it is a bird I have never seen before. I first spotted the bird high in a tree, and got excited because I thought it was a Blue Jay. I had not seen a bluejay in my area in years and was going to "show" it to my kids..... but as I got closer, I realized it was not a bluejay. It is a sort of blue gray color with a white or cream underbelly......and a small crest. Growing up the only 2 birds that I ever saw with crests were either Cardinals or Blue Jays..............

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I MIGHT have visiting???

I am TRYING to catch him or her for a pic - but no luck yet....................

Genna

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

That'll be Tufted Titmouse. They nest in boxes like that.

Resin

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Do you happen to have a photo of one? I think I can identify it if I saw a pic.... or is there a place on here I can search for photos of a particular bird?
Thanks

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Here you are! http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Tufted%20Titmouse

Resin

Edit: getting the link to work properly!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 5:15 PM

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Crested birds are my fave!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

This one doesn't have it's crest up but could this maybe it?

Titmouse

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I believe after looking at all the pics on the link above from Resin that it is the Tufted Titmouse that is making its home in my blue bird box...... and that is fine, because we have several boxes up. I just had never seen one of these birds before - and I have lived within 20 miles of here all my life (44 years) and grew up out in the country - so either we didn't have them or they were pretty scarce at the time. Apparently they are fairly shy, but she built in the house nearest our drive, and entrance to the house so she gets "spooked" quite often.

Not sure if this is the only pair or not, but I haven't spotted any more...............

Thanks for all the help!
Genna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.