Egg Plant

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a White One cloud nine

Thumbnail by phicks
Phoenix, AZ

I passed up a white eggplant because I wasn't sure how it would do in the heat. Have you grown this one before? I might not be too late to get one. Last year, I bought Ichiban twice - and neither turned out to be true to name. Trying again this year.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Ive Growed this one before it does good here

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Do eggplants love heat? I'm zone 10. Always grown them in winter months!! Have I been missing something???

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

there good to about mid june then its to hot

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i grew them lst year in 5 gal containers. i got about 4 or 5 from each of the two plants but they weren't very big. they seem to do alright for the entire season.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful eggplants Phicks. Cloud Nine is the best of the whites that I have tried. Plant and Herbie, Eggplant loves heat in moderation. About the same, maybe a lttle more than tomatoes. Love temps in the 80's low 90's, quit and sulk as the triple digits arrive. A summer crop in most of Georgia, but excepting north Georgia , go on vacation in late July and August, resume in September.

That is what I have been doing! (LOL) Been going on vacation July & August with the exception of starting my tomato seeds indoors on 08/15 for October plant out. Much too hot here for any veggie gardening.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

farfmerdill - thosetemps are what we normally have here duringthe summer. i think the fact that they are grown in containes has a lot to do with their performance. i remember when i planted in the ground all my vegetable plants produced more and had bigger fruits.

Herb -- Down here the sun would burn the fruit. It would be like sitting under a magnifying glass. No one really stays out in the summer sun without protection of some sort (umbrella etc) for any length of time that is except some unwise tourists who soon regret there exposure! I know as I lived on Long Island for 42 years and there is a tremendous difference in the summer sun in comparison.

Phoenix, AZ

I've had an Ichiban in the ground for about two years. It produced like crazy all through the heat but probably because it was under shade cloth? Tplant, I lived in Tampa many years ago and once I got acclimated, it wasn't too bad. But I've lived here over 30 years and there's no tolerating this summer sun. For plants that are not under shade cloth, I buy beach umbrellas for 'em. And, no, there's no beach near here; everybody grabs their umbrella and heads off to San Diego!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

tplant - where in long island did you live. my wifes sister lives in coram and i have relatives in east islip. did you get tired of the LIE. it's even worse now. LOL

i have been to florida twice in my life. once in june and once in feb. i prefer feb. i stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Herb -- Centereach & Wantagh.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

nice area

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.