When do potatoes sprout?

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

How long after planting cut seed potato eyes (reds and golds) should I look for the plants' first emergence above the soil? The rows are fairly deep and there is about 6 inches of soil (with fertilizer) covering them. Thanks.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

6 inches sounds deep to me, unless it's really loose soil. I only put a few inches, let them break the soil, then start adding more soil as they get taller. In 2007 I planted on February 4th or so and saw sprouts on March 8th. This year I planted on January 15th and got sprouts on February 6th.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I plant Mine Six to Seven deep mine went in the second week of Feb Heres a Pic

Thumbnail by phicks
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Guess 6-7 inches is fine then. :) I do have a tendency to overthink things sometimes...

Those plants are looking great! Might be harvesting a few in the next few weeks.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

That Pics about 3 weeks old ill put a new crop in in sept

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

So does the fact that most of mine have been under straw (I'm tyring doccat5's method) for about 5 to 6 weeks now with nothin' showing mean that they're probably DOA?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

5 to 6 Weeks??

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Did you use Straw or Hay?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Any chance that straw was knocked down by herbicide rather than threshing?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Try Uncovering some See Whats There

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. I must learn more garden patience. Its only been 2 weeks :(

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

I always "chit" my potatoes - that is I get them to sprout before I plant them - I use the tiny potatoes from last year that I keep in the fridge. I take them put of the fridge and put them on a plate and cover with newspapers - they think they've been planted. I like to know each potato is a good seed.

Anyway, this makes them come up faster after planting in the garden and you're pretty much guanteed each potato will make a nice plant.

As for how long it takes to appear - I can't remember last year, but I think it partly depends on the weather.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks, feldon30, phicks for your suggestions. I did use straw, not hay, and I have no idea how it was harvested. However, I do have one thriving plant (out of 8), so I don't think it's the straw itself. I did take your suggestion, phicks, and took a look, and I found another potato sending up shoots. So maybe there's still hope!

And, if nothing happens, I'll try again in the fall. The cool thing about gardening is, there's always another growing season! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.