Our horse died tonight

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Our Buck age about 36 died tonight in our arms. Paul had taken him up to the meadow around noon. When he went up to get him around 9pm he found Buck stretched out on the ground wedged in between 3 saplings. Buck couldn't get up so we called 911. The fire department was wonderful. They responded quickly, trudged the mile up to where Buck was and stayed with us trying to get him on his feet. He had no strength left and could not stand up. Paul held his head in his arms as Buck took his last breaths.
The meadow Buck was in belongs to an elderly neighbor who is in a nursing home. We're going to ask her if it's alright for us to bury Buck there since he loved it so much. Tomorrow morning we're having a small ceremony to say our goodbyes. For tonight we wrapped him in a tarp with ropes to keep the coyotes from getting at him.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Lodi, United States

I am so sorry. I am sure it was a comfort to him to have you there.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Molly, you have my condolences. May you find peace within yourselves in knowing Buck is in a better place.

GG

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm so sorry, Molly. What a wonderful, long life Buck had with you, he was very lucky. You must love him very much. I hope that in time you will be able to remember him so happy in the meadow, and that those memories will bring you joy. As long as you hold him in your heart, he will always be with you.
margo

So sorry.
What a good life you must have given him to live so long.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

molly....sending you hugs.....buck was a very lucky fellow :-)
lynda

Fort Worth, TX

beautiful horse, so sorry he passed.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

It's so hard to loose a best friend. I'm so sorry.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

many hugs to you,and bless you for taking such good care of him. you were a good friend.

;-(
tf

Woodsville, NH

So sorry for your loss......

Poulsbo, WA

molly, I can't imagine the loss of such a
beautiful and intelligent creature, and one
that had been your friend for so long.
He'll always be close in your memories,
running with the wind.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you all for those very kind words. We spent the morning moving him to a field we own (Paul felt the neighbors property might be sold at some point and we would loose access to his gravesite). Then we used two tractors to dig his grave. He is now buried. Come fall I plan to cover it with daffodil bulbs since most creatures won't touch those.

MollyD

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, Molly, I'm so, so sorry your horse died. I hope my horse lives that long. I'm sure Buck had a wonderful life with such a great family.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you Beth

MollyD

Foley, MO

So very sorry for your loss. For him to live so long, he must have really wanted to stay with you. I'm sure that you being there for him at the crossroads in the end was truly the best way one can show another their love. May you find even more peace and love as you journey through this life, and I hope you'll hear him on the wind, and see him in the stars.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Patch. Paul just took his parents up to see where we buried him. I can picture Buck running like the wind. If you've ever seen Remington's Pony Express statue you can imagine Buck running. That's how he looked. Pure poetry in motion.

MollyD

Conroe, TX

Oh how sad, so so sorry MollyD

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you smedgekles

MollyD

Glenwood, IA

Oh you got me to tears. I am sorry sorry to hear what happened. My mare gave birth to a tiny colt last year on Halloween night at midnight. It was certainly unexpected, and he was born with a congenital defect. He could not lock his front legs, and after 2 months of trying everything we could think of he had to be put down just after Christmas. It was by far the hardest thing I had ever gone through, and it was tuff to talk about. Just know you are in my prayers, and I am sure my baby Pablo is playing with guy Buck.

Melissa

MollyD1953

I happened across your message.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

For those who love animals and who understand that animals were created to be cared for by mankind...death is like loosing a friend or a family member. I know. We cried so hard when there was no hope for our kitty, the vet sent us 3 yellow roses the next day. It's been since 2000 (she was over 13) and I still miss her when I think too much about her.

May you also remember the joy, the good times, the wonderful life that you gave your dear horse. What a blessed horse, to be so loved.

P.S. I love Canandaigua, NY. Wow...so beautiful.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Melissa and Aunt A thank you so much for your very kind words. Melissa I am so sorry about your little guy. I know you did what was best for him no matter how painful it was for you. Yes he is probably now across the Rainbow Bridge playing with Buck. Yesterday I broke into tears thinking of that big rascal eating the best green grass he'd ever tasted and no fences. He was so mad at us last week when we had to put his electric fence back up. He kept breaking out to wander over to neighbor's houses and raid their feed bins.
Aunt A he is indeed a family member as are all our animals. We still have two dogs left. Heidi is 14 and has tumors, Nakusah is 7 but has been diagnosed with cancer in his lower jaw so both have their remaining days numbered. We've been discussing getting a Pyrenees puppy who would live with our new goats arriving in May. We may go this route but don't want to rush into anything.
Back in 2001 I lost a cat who'd been with us for over ten years to cancer under her tonque so I know how much loosing your kitty was. We still have not gotten another cat since though we've talked about someday doing that.

Thank you both.

MollyD

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Sending you hugs, MollyD.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you brigidlily.

MollyD

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

I am so sorry Molly. I know he is with my Uncle's
horse, Beauty, and my horse, Baby Doll in the most
wonderful place in the heavens. He was a very lucky
horse to have you care for him to such an old age.
He is absolutely beautiful. I know you will miss him
very much, and he will come to you in your dreams.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you truest for those lovely thoughts. Yesterday I was thinking how he was now in a place where the flies couldn't bother him anymore . It made me cry.

I'm trying to stay focused on the future now. Made a call to a woman who breeds Pyranese dogs. She's got a litter being born in May and as soon as they can be seen we're going over to see them. Nothing like furry babies to cheer you up! Yesterday Paul got very upset when he got home cause I was putting Bucks things away. I explained to him that it's just like when a person dies and you gather their clothes and stuff but he was upset all evening. I want to get the paddock fence down because both of us keep looking up there out of habit. Not good.

MollyD

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

How sad. I can understand how hard it would be
to look out where you expect them to be and not
there. I miss my Baby Doll so much. I hope all your dreams
are sweet and happy dreams for him.

I think pyrenese are awesome dogs. They really like to
live close to 'their' herd of whatever they look after. They
are fierce gaurd dogs. Yep- nothing helps bring you into
the now like a new fluffy critter that needs your full attn.

(trying to be upbeat) and wish Buck sweet hay, open fields,
no fences and a peaceful sleep.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2008 10:16 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Molly, I'm so sorry to read about Buck.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Michelle, thanks truest. I've been working in his paddock all afternoon taking down fencing. It was such a hodgepodge that Paul put together that it isn't coming out smoothly. I've gotten electric wire, regular wire, ropes and twice removed so far. Also some boards. Next I get to start cleaning up broken pieces of fencing and seeing if I can get the post out of the ground. Most of them are shaky so they should come out fast. After that I get to dig new holes where they're being moved to.

Molly

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Molly,
I just took a look at this site and saw your new. I am so very very sorry. There is nothing worse than loosing someone you love whether on 2 feet or 4. My most heartfelt condolences. I love your idea of the daffodils. When my mother died she insisted on being cremated because she wanted to be scattered at the finish line at Monmouth Race Track where her horses ran. We weren't allowed to do it so when my dog died who sat on the bed with her through her last illness we planted a garden over her and scattered my mother over it. Its right outside the kids playroom so they are getting to watch the kids grow up. When we moved here I dug up some of the plants and brought them with us so its like she's still with me. When we go home we'll take the plants back with us. So as long as you have the daffodils you will always have him and G-d willing one day you will meet again in the world to come. Again my most and deepest heartfelt condolences
Maola

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry for your loss. 36 years is a long time, and I'm sure he'll leave a big hole in your lives.

He is very lucky to be so loved and so missed. I'm glad you could be there with him at his passing.

Hugs to you.

Kathy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you both.

Maola those are beautiful thoughts. I wanted the daffodils because to me they symbolize spring when he died. Like a yearly remembrance. I've already ordered the bulbs through a co-op here on DG.

Kathy yes it is a big hole. I am grateful we got to him before he died. My last words to him when we were trying to get him back on his feet were "let's go home Buck". His ears showed he heard me and his eyes reacted to the word home. We were glad that we were able to pull him into our own meadow since in a way that was going home for him.

MollyD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Molly, went way out to the pasture today and visited my horses grave. the marking is gone but the sunkenness is still there. Thinking of you,
tf

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks tf. We figure we'll have to add some soil as time goes by and nature takes it's course.

MollyD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, that came across all wrong, Molly, but it came from the heart. it was Jan of 1993 when i lost my precious GoldSkipRita...

hugs to you. looking forward to hearing more about your goats...

^_^
♥tf

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks tf! I took it in the right spirit ;-)

I am so looking forward to these goats. I think they will help Paul heal too since they will need feeding and watering. He's missing doing all that for Buck. With the goats he won't need to feel that he's replaced him since they aren't the same species.

MollyD

Utica, MI

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special
friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy
and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special
to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body
quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green
grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy
kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and
you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from
your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I hope this will help. It really helped me last year when I had to put my dog down. your in my thoughts and prayers.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks Lobee. I've read it before when we had to put our oldest dog to sleep two years ago. It is a lovely poem.

Thanks,
MollyD

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Molly

I just found this post and I am so sorry to read of Buck's passing. I know he was a very special boy and too beautiful for words. You were blessed to have him with you for so many years and I know there will be a huge hole in your lives for quite some time. I am praying that very soon the hole begins to fill and wonderful memories that have been buried by everyday things, begin to work their way to the surface and bring you and Paul a lifetime of happy thoughts of Buck and your years together.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Horses are so special.
As a fellow horse lover I know how you feel.
I am so sorry.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank you CajuninKy and Cottage_Rose. Everyday we are taking small steps in the healing process but it is slow and painful.

Thank you,
MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.