Help!!!

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Help!!!!!! I have three annabelle hydrangeas that have been in the ground for at least 4 years. The soil is really good, lots and lots and lots of worms. Full sun. water soluble plant food every two weeks. No growth, never get more than six inches tall. die back to ground in winter. never ever flowers. Help!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That seems very strange, 'Annabelle' should be hardy to zone 3-4 and I'm guessing your in zone 5 or 6, so I wouldn't think it should die back at all. If it is dying back every year though that could explain why it's not growing much because it takes a lot of energy to come back from nothing every year, but I'm having a hard time thinking of why it would be dying back in the first place. The only thing I can think of is that your plant was mislabelled and is really a H. macrophylla cultivar instead, those could definitely die back if you aren't protecting them. How does it look during the summer when it has leaves? Does it look overall healthy and happy but just doesn't bloom much, or does it look unhappy in the summer too? (H. macrophylla usually needs PM shade, so if it's in full sun I would expect it might pout a bit during the summer too)

The leaves are lovely and green it just never ever grows to more than six inches. I dug one up and moved it to a slightly drier location hoping that would help. It will get less direct light there too. Funny thing is I also have a PG hydrangea tree very very close by that doesn't die back at all and blooms on every twig. My ES in the front and in the back yard get one, two or none and spend the summer wilting.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey - Me TOO! I also have an Annabelle that does the same thing - dies back every year, but mine did have 1 flower last summer. Mine gets full sun until about one in the afternoon in the summer, then shade the rest of the day. It is planted about 8 ft. from a nice Nikko Blue & one other bright pink NOID hydrangea. They all die to the ground each winter, but the Nikko Blue is about 3 1/2 ft tall & about 5 feet wide. It was planted at the same time as the Annabelle & gets the same treatment: Acidic soil, fertilizer 2 x/year, on sprinkler system, same amount of sun, no pests that I can tell. I don't cut them back until they begin to grow in the Spring, then just trim off dead wood. Annabelle is about 8 - 10" tall, only one stem so far - last year there were 3. If anyone has any clues, I'd appreciate it! Samantha

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Honestly Anabelle should behave just like your PG...they're different hydrangea species, but they're both hardier than the macrophyllas and both bloom on new wood. Hopefully someone who's grown Anabelle will come along and have some ideas, I've never had one, so I'm just going on the fact that it's supposed to be a great hydrangea for colder climates because it's hardier and doesn't die back in the winter and blooms on new wood so you can enjoy it without having to protect it.

the peculiar thing is the instructions said that because it blooms on new wood many people cut it down to the ground in the spring to get more flowers. Where are they!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

You might find the comment about Annabelle's on this link interesting. Otherwise this problem seems to be a stumper.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/planting_fert.html

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Snapple! Well, my hydrangeas all get morning sun, afternoon shade, & everything else seems good, too! Maybe I need to give it a stern "talking to", like I did a non-producing blueberry bush! it has managed to produce a few berries, but may still not make it to live past this year - we'll see what it gives this year. So, if Annabelle continues her non-performance, maybe I'll just replace her! LOL Samantha

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Blueberries like it real acid, around 5.5 to produce a good crop. Have you had your soil tested? Hydrangeas (macrophyllas) don't need soil with a pH that low to bloom blue. Somewhere at or below 6.5 wiil usually do, depending on the amount of free aluminum available in the soil. If the aluminum is not present or is tied up with phosphorous, even at pH 5 to 6, you will get pink blooms. For a good discussion of the soil and cultural requirements of all species of Hydrangeas I highly recommend Michael Dirr's "Hydrangeas for American Gardens".

FYI - I planted his new macrophylla introduction "Lady In Red" last August. I think it's going to be spectacular. This is zone 5 here. I protected it with a cage of oak leaves for the winter. I have 6 flower buds showing. I can't wait! The red/green foliage alone is worth having.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Snapple - I gave the blueberry a scolding b/c she(?) is within 5' of the most over-producing (consistently) bb I have ever seen - that one's about 3.5 feet tall now, & last year we got about 8 cups of berries from it! I think the other one is in rebellion! Thanks for the tip on pH - I know we're acid, but that's about it! More info would likely be a good thing. Do you know whether those test kits you can buy at Lowe's & H. D. are any good? Thanks for the book recommendation, too - I'll check for it on Amazon!
I, to bought Lady in Red last fall, but overwintered them in their pots! (read: no time to plant) They look beautiful now, so am getting ready to move to that planting bed & get them in the ground!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

You're acid all right! The University of Georgia has a Cooperative Extension with a Master Gardener program and home gardening programs. Cooperative Extension and the Master Gardener Program is in nearly all 50 states. It is a terrific resource for sight specific reseach based information (tailored to your specific soils and climate) about all types of gardening. Try there for a soil test. The over the counter ones are not all that reliable. The lab run tests through Extension usually don't cost much and you get your money's worth. The test will tell you what you have and what you need to do to correct it, if anything.
At least check out Extension and see what they have to offer. You might be surprised.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/homegarden.html
http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/district.cfm?CAESDept=Southwest%20District

So you overwintered your hydrangeas in pots eh? Quit showing off. Now I have zone envy (again). ;>)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.