Today's Weather in Your Garden - 18

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great compliment to hear though, isn't it Weeze?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh My Goodness......It took awhile to catch on the threads today........So many pretty photos on this one!! Jo Anne - your gardens are lovely; WC - lots of pretty shots from you; Al - that's almost an impressionistic piece of art! Pat......lovely butterfly shots! Venu - nice shot!

Robin - I'm so happy to hear the good news about your grandson. Prayers for all of you continue!

Victor - more nice shots of THE CITY........very enticing! Looks like you made the most of the day!!

Candyce - thanks for all the stats......as you can imagine....I'm watching your weather reports very closely!! I'll be seeing you soon!!!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor, love your Central Park photos, didn't know there was so much there, of course it was December the last 2 times we were there, makes me want to come in spring or summer.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh, and WC - I do still wish I had a magnolia tree! The problem is - it would bloom and be all gone before we could get back to see it in the spring. My son sent me this shot of his magnolia tree last week. They are so pretty!!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks, WC. I know it's three of the chores that most people hate. I tend to get into a Zen like mode and then I don't want to leave it. Wierd but good weird is true I think
Victor, yes it's good to hear when you have worked like a dog and been tortured beyond belief. We have gained a reputation close to comical. I mentioned to my coach that we should charge a cover price since we are so entertainng to so many patrons.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Temp 59.0°, Wind WSW 0.1 mph. ☺

I totally understand venu, I feel that way when I iron my clothes,... relaxing labor. Along with my bonsai, teaching myself Tai Chi, an oriental arbor, a bamboo border for my in-ground JM, and my new Zen style birdbath/ bird feeder I received in the mail today, etc. I'm trying for a more relaxing, serene ambiance in my garden. (I'll skip the pond though, I don't want to be cleaning filters all the time.) ☺

Ok Donnie but you've been warned - (3) 50lb bags of petals today and it's not finished shedding yet! If you prune, fertilize and treat it nice you may end up with one of these monsters! ( They are nice though! ☺).

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

So the birds will be calmer and more serene too...

No... they still fight amongst themselves for food and mates. ☺

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good morning everyone.
It's 65* and some thorms are due but we'll see.
promise of a hi of 75*
we'll see about that too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

finally some rain... I know it's just drizzle for now... but I will take it

Currently At 6:57AM
Rain
56°F
RealFeelŪ
57°F
Winds: NE
at 1mph
Rain
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 51° F
Pressure: N/A
Visibility: 5 Miles

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

i'm wishing for rain, thats for sure- 45 degrees in keene nh this am- my life has been one garden after another all day every day, (i could use a rainy day too) slow down, spring, slow down! been missing dg with toooo much work, but, you know, it is beautiful out there, and still no bugs.... sarah

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey there, Sarah ... (my neighbor down the road) ...

Here's what's happening in my neighborhood today:

Currently @ 7:34 AM

44° on its way to a HIGH of 62°
Humidity: 81%
Dewpoint: 36°
Pressure: 30.20 in.
The skies are mostly cloudy
There is no wind, not even a breeze for the butterflies

Almanac

Normal High: 62°
Normal Low: 35°

Record High: 85° in 1915
Record Low: 19° in 1893

Sunrise: 5:46 am
Sunset: 7:41 pm
Sunrise Tomorrow: 5:45 am
Sunset Tomorrow: 7:43 pm

Moonrise: 1:03 am
Moonset: 9:39 am
Moonrise Tomorrow: 1:41 am
Moonset Tomorrow: 10:44 am

Next New Moon: Monday, May 04, 2008
Next Full Moon: Tuesday, May 19, 2008

Today's Moon: gibbous, waning
Tomorrow's Moon: gibbous, waning

Hey there neighbor down the road.

46 degrees and partly cloudy.

The veggie garden is getting rototilled today - yee haa....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd welcome the rain for the garden and for myself.

It's 50 now, gray skies but no rain predicted until tonight into the morning. I hope they're wrong.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello from Tampa!! It will be 87 today and sunny as we make our way to Orlando. I am going to Disney World to see the most famous Pixie of all!! Im so excited....I feel like a 5 year old. Hope all is well with all of you, i'll write again more when I get home and thank you all for encouraging me to come...it's doing me a world of good!!!!!

Glad to hear that Celeste!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

So happy to hear that you made the trip OK, pixie!
Enjoy - enjoy - enjoy!!!

Cool ! No warm, no hot!!! 87... I am steaming - lol

Great news Celeste! Enjoy every minute. I love Disney and feel like a kid each time I go. 58 and sunny here. Where's the rain?! Jo Ann - is 'thorm' short for thunderstorm? We actually have thunderstorms in the 3 day forecast.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lousy day here - 42 and windy.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Celeste - reading your message did me worlds of good to hear that spark and excitement in your voice! I hope you are having just the best time ever! Thanks for letting us know you are enjoying your time away!!

61 and partly sunny. Very strange day. Beautiful at times. Windy and raw at others. More pond problems. Looks like the pump may have crapped out. Keeps tripping the GFI. Hundreds to replace!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I loved today's weather - in the 60's and breezy. Pulled out about 20 feet of chicken wire fencing today - decided to shorten the veggie/strawberry garden as one end was getting too much shade the past year or two. More room for flowers!

I love magnolia's too but won't get one. Many neighbors have them that I can enjoy.

Temp 57.5°, wind SSE 4.0 mph. ☺

Planted 4 heucheras this am and a Hakonechola macra all gold. Finised thatching the back yard, then mowed same. Tried out my new blower on the magnolia leaves... It works! Yippee!! ... then had to lift another 50lb bag to the curb... UgH!

Too bad about the pump Victor - my neighbor has a pond too ... seeing him work on it every week has convinced me not to get one! ☺

Your pond is beautiful Victor, but too much work for me too. And that's just in putting it in. I'm settling for a rock waterfall.

When things are working okay, it's not that much work. Hose off the filter once a week and add water once in a while - that's really it. It's less work that a garden bed.

I was actually thinking of an endless stream, but too much work initially.

Endless work?

Another shot from the other day. San Remo apts.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

NWS station atop Belvedere Castle.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

cool evening- but very clear- not sure about the predicted rain. My S'sIL all met in Queechee at a Spa today and relaaaaxed...but then I convinced them to go to a nearby nursery.... I found a trolius alabaster- which I had wanted for a while!!
Question to those with deer issues- i have a client who wants a small weeping tree, but she does have winter brousing issues-(I don't really mean that she brouses.. but you know) Would deer demolish a small weeping crabapple?? sarah

The old rule probably applies: Deer will eat anything when they're hungry.

A neighbor, who has deer in the green space at the rear of their home, has a weeping cherry and it's never been bothered by the deer.

It was a very nice afternoon watching a local landscaper dig up all the daylilies at the front of the vegetable garden and as we'd divide each one his 17 year old son would bring half to the truck. Then I showed him another area and told him to dig every daylily and there was no dividing needed/wanted. They're making a garden at the church to honor a deceased priest so they now have at least 150 daylilies to start the project.

I have noticed two clumps of daffs that are no longer blooming much. No animal damage or anything - just foliage and no blooms.

Remember my 52 pound clump? Each year the daffodils produce baby daffodils and they're drawn further and further down. The clump I mentioned was a good 20" deep. Fall is soon enough to lift and divide, then replant giving them food as you do it.

Thumbnail by pirl

That's the odd thing though. These are not old, big, dense clumps.

Daffodils are my favorite flowers, and they don't do very well for me, mine are 10 years old at the most, and I moved some last fall, and have about half with just foliage.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

That not blooming daffodil clump happens to me too sometimes- maybe it is that the bulbs divided into smaller, nonblooming size- I don't know- but this year i'm going to fertilize them while i can still tell where they are, and hope that helps- rather than guess in the fall
also- i've found that many new kinds really want their own space in good garden soil, and don't do well sort of naturalzed...
sarah

I thought the next thing I should do is research to see what types do best here, and try those.

We had some cool thunderstorms earlier today, but only about 1/4" of rain.

I'd definitely try some 0-20-20.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.