Today's Weather in Your Garden - 18

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Al ,we have those here in the woodline and I have always called them Dog Tooth Violets...someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

This message was edited May 1, 2008 7:48 AM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks like we did not get down to freezing. Jo Ann, how can cold turn plants to 'toast'?! Nice shots, Al. I have that yellow flower around here too. Forgot what it is.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

NOT toast ----cooked spinach!!!! LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That should be one of the Seven Wonders of the Gardening World - a pound of spinach becomes a serving for two so fast!

34 out there now. I can see there was a heavy frost. Its white and shiny in places the sun has not hit yet.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sooooo tasty with other greens and a good vinegrette and some crumbled Feta.
Ever have violets with your salad?
They taste like walnuts.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Al, Erythronium americanum (I believe). I just bought one from the New England Wildflower Society. Also called dog tooth violet or trout lily.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They don't taste like chicken?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

boojum..you bought it?? It doesn't grow wild in Mass.?? It is all through my woods here....I wish I would of known, I would of sent you some.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

PIRL not chicken.
One of the rare items that doesn't.
I'm sure there is a book on the subject of "things that taste like chicken"
maybe that would be a project for someone.
I want a percent of sales.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

48 and sunny.

Boojum, I hope you come home to good news.

I am starting some veggie seeds today which is a tad late for some, but I was going away and didn't want to leave any more plant sitting for our dog sitter then she already had with my earlier sown flats of flowers. She brought them through with only a few causalties. Then I will do some lily bulb planting and start to plant some recently arrived perennials and weed and weed some more. That great rain has them popping up especially in the new beds. Here is a picture taken yesterday of some of my bulb foolishness from last fall. Many of the tulips in this picture are ones that returned from a 2006 fall planting. I am very pleased how many have done well a second year. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't worry about your perennials, guys. I have perennials in pots in the nursery, sitting above ground, and the frost/ freeze doesn't hurt them a bit. They are even more protected in the ground. The worst that can happen is the leaves could get frostbit a little, (that would be very unusual) but they will come right back from the ground. And hopefully no one had tender annuals out. Pansies and snapdragons will be fine. Your perennials will be just fine.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sunny and up to 40 degrees now. Took covering off hydrangeas and lilies. Birdbaths have a thin veneer of ice. This could be it for really cold nights I hope. I agree all the perennials should be fine at worst a leaf or two may drop but they will recover in no time.
Love the wildflower and tulip pics Al and Patti.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Al, Boojum is correct. Your photo is of Erythronium americanum, also know as a trout lily. I thought the white variety is called the dog-toothed violet? Either way, they grow wild here, too.

Here's one I took in the woods a few years back.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Very nice picture, Victor! I always look forward to seeing them. I think the deer ate the one bloom I had last week.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti-what a nice shot!

Yes, great shot, Patti!

New thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/841922/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.