My bearded Iris still not showing signs of life

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

I planted an Iris tuber back in November, most other plants are coming out in my yard, many that were planted in November as well. But the bearded iris is not showing a bit of stem or growth. Is this normal? This would be my first Iris. I really hope that all it needs is the weather to warm up more.
Any comments are much appreciated,
Soris

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

you didnt plant it too deep did you. the rhizome needs to be above soil level.

most irises should be showing life. also make sure the rhizome is still hard and not rotted.

most of my irises dont die back at all. but our weather only goes down to about thirty in the winter.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Dulcigarden, I'm a couple zones colder and drier than you, but mine aren't showing yet either. It's still early though, we need more days of warm sunshine and warmer nights. Iris are tough. I think they are fine.

South Hamilton, MA

Tall bearded iris usually bloom in MA late May, early June. The leaves should begin to look green, but no stems are visable as yet.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Most of my irises are up and growing, and I'm in zone 3b. If yours isn't showing yet, I suggest you check the rhizome. If it's firm and feels solidly rooted, it may still be OK. If it's mushy, spongy, or moves easily (not well rooted), it's most likely dead.

Laurie

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw the rhizome, didnt try to move it though. Did not want to disturb it. But will do today when i get home. I followed instructions and planted it just below the surface, so much that i can actually see it. I will cross my fingers and hope.

I cannot wait to see it... is called Brown Lasso

Thumbnail by Dulcigarden
South Hamilton, MA

Brown Lasso is a border bearded iris, close to TB size and blooms at the same time.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Iris since i have you here let me ask you, this will sound dumb I know LOL . How many flowers will each plant produce in one season. I know that mine is not a repeat bloomer, but are Iris like Lilies that pop up a few flowers at the same time in one season.

South Hamilton, MA

Irises send up stalks from the rhizome, a food storage stem. It can put up a couple stalks from the same rhizome, but often only one. Each stalk will bloom only once--it then sends out smaller increases which are next yrs. source of stalks. The number of buds per stalk depends on the classification. A border like Brown Lasso should produce 5 buds per stalk. If the main plant sends out 3 increases for the following yr. You should have 3 stalks that next yr. with their buds. So a 3 yr. old clump will have many stems and new increases. A plant will often be tired then and need dividing. The old pieces which have bloomed are discarded and the smaller ones replanted. I recommend The Gardener's Iris Book by Wm Sears as a source of iris information.Ask your library, they should be able to get it through interlibrary loan.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

That is great info Iris, thanks so much. And what do you know, today i went to check on the rhizome and to my surprised there is an eye coming out. I saw it and it looked like a nice shiny green eye looking at me. Now i feel better. LOL

South Hamilton, MA

It's probably looking to see if it is safe to increase. : )

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

That's right! Are yours showing yet Iris? You are just some miles from me.

South Hamilton, MA

The first species (pumila) opened today. 4" tall or so, some growth on others, Bloom on BBs or TBs won't be until the end of May. Lucy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.