Southern blue flag or Shreve's?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

EDITED today, April. 25th to say "solved". I was way off. ;-> Not the first time.

Oh I just can't decide. Is this Virginica "Southern Blue Flag Iris" or is it Virginica var. shrevii "Shreve's Iris".

My eyes are crossing from looking at photos of each.

Here's the blossom.
Next I'll post a photo of the whole plant.

Thanks!
Deb

This message was edited Apr 25, 2008 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Whole thing is about 2 1/2 feet tall.
Leaves have a slight center rib.
These are blooming now in wet , part shade.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi Deb! Gee those look like mine! My cousin gave them to me & all I can tell ya is that she called them "Japanese Iris". Maybe someone will let you know what "we" have.
Good Luck,
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Joey: Yep, they are very similar. I thought mine might be versicolor, but their range is further north I think.

I inherited these with the house. They didn't bloom the first year, then I divided and moved them and now they're doing their thing. :)
Deb

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

What is versicolor?

A close-up...

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It's "Northern" Blue Flag Iris. IMHO, it looks just like Virginica, but that's my problem here and why I'm asking for h-e-l-p. Not that it really matters what the name is, does it. I think they're all gorgeous! (Still curious, tho.)
Deb

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I doubt it is a virginica:
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/iris13.jpg
http://www.missouriplants.com/Bluealt/Iris_virginica_page.html

Or a versicolor:
http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Iris-versicolor

I'd say siberian.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks like a sib to me too, however sibs shouldn't have the ridge on the leaves.

I agree with Boojum,not a versicolor, or virginica. And definitely not Japanese.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh golly! I thought I had narrowed it down! LOL. Going to check those links now. Thanks, guys,
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Boojum: It looks just like photos 7 and 10 of versicolor on that linked page you posted to me. Only problem is the description says the leaves have no midrib, and these do, not real pronouced, but it's there..

I failed to say that the flower is about 3" or so across and most seem to have two flowers per stalk. Doubt that helps, though, does it. ;-)
Deb

Nope!
I'll look again at the pics.

Still don't think so.
Do they look like this? With reddish buds? (these are velvet purple not the midnight blue that my camera took) They could be Caesar's Brother. For years I thought they were species, too.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 5:05 PM

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by boojum
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes, they have reddish bulbs and the flowers are more purple than blue. Caesar's Brother?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

are the stems dark ?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tazzy: Are you asking about my mystery Iris or Boojum's Caesasr's Brother? If you meant miine, then.....Dark? No, I wouldn't say that. In my 2nd photo up top ( ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4843354 )
you can see them.
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here are the buds on my mystery Iris.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

I was refering to the I Virginica ,
some of the newer named Virginica have dark all
most black stems .looking in plant files or gooling put ( I Virginica )
they are mosty listed under I instead of V
It is the species name I (iris )Virginica

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Boojum: I believe you solved my mystery. Caesar's Brother it appears to be! Now I know where I can plant the big clumps I divided off. :)
Thanks to all of you for your help.
Deb

What helped you decide? (just curious)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I did some research and then I d-mailed some folks who have posted photos and comments on C's Bro. in PlantFiles for their opinion. :)

Now please don't tell me there's another one that it could be?? ;->

Deb

No, no. It's often hard to validate online. You've done admirably well at getting your info. I am glad I could help you. :)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Me, too. Clearly, I was clueless, so I really appreciate the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.