Weird Greenhouse Question-need input

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I just wanted some input on an idea. I have no room in my yard for a greenhouse. I mostly need one in the spring to start things-I have a bunch of coop plants coming that need to grow a bit before being put out and stuff like that. The people across the street from us have a greenhouse that they have never used in the 6 years that we've lived in our house. The gal who lives there inheirited the house from her folks-they were avid gardeners (I knew them casually-her mom was my son's teacher many years ago) but I have never even talked to her. So, here is this greenhouse-I would estimate about 8x12 just sitting empty. It is an attached lean-to but there is an outside door. I can see dead plants and stuff kind of strewn about inside. Would it be weird if I asked her if she wanted to rent me the greenhouse? How much do you think would be reasonable if I didn't use her electricity or water? I was thinking $50/mo? Then, if things worked out, would it be reasonable to get some type of kerosine heater so that I could keep a few things in it over the winter (keep it at about 40 degrees or so) but not use her utilities? It just kills me every year to see that empty greenhouse not more than 75 feet away from my livingroom window. Anyway, I'm open to opinions-if you all think it's not too weird, I'll go talk to her next week and see if we can arrange something.
Thanks!
Deb

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I was so misled! I thought this was going to be a question about a weird greenhouse! =P

I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't offer $50 right off the bat. I'd start low. Real low. Like... some of the plants grown in the structure, or maybe mowing her lawn for her, trimming a hedge, or... (you probably get the drift). Bartering works wonders, usually for both sides. If you offered me $50 right off the top, I'd probably jump on it, thinking you could have got it much lower. ;)

Or, try real hard to make room for an 8x12 lean-to in your yard, and see if she'll sell it. =)

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Great suggestions-they struggle with yard work. Maybe a few really nice containers of flowers (and some lessons on how to care for them ) would be a good start. I have hundreds of coop annuals coming in the next few weeks-they just need to grow a little bit.

My husband keeps telling me I should ask them if they want to sell it-I fear it's an integral part of their house-and I just have too much shade . . .but then you never know.

Thanks!
Deb

PS-it is a weird greenhouse! That would be any unused, unloved greenhouse in my book!

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I also had too much shade, when I erected my greenhouse. An Ash and a Maple removed, cured that. And, there's a LOT less samara to clean up (not to mention leaves). I can also, finally, play with some beds that get full sun. My front yard is mostly shade, and I have a covered deck that holds an abundance of containers of shade plants. Sure, they were beautiful trees, but now it's a whole other kind of beauty. Seemed a good trade-off to me. =)

Good luck!

Tomah, WI

Deb, I think that is a great idea! Please let us know what happens.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I agree with most of the previous posts!

It's a shame to see that greenhouse go to waste. I too would offer a trade and save your cash. You said your yard was too shaded, but is that more so just in the summer when the trees have leafed out? If that's the case, you could probably use a greenhouse in the winter and early spring. Living without shade trees, I sure wouldn't cut down any trees in your yard.

We live on a hilltop with no shade issues to deal with, but I didn't want a permanent greenhouse at this time. I found a really sturdy 10'x10', super easy to put up (and take down) for $200 from walmart.com. For the same price, if you did want a permanent GH, I think the cattlepanel GHs would work well for you, too. Going that route, you could just buy the supplies in stages over the summer, so you'd have a GH for next winter.

Robin

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Robin, this is my first yard with shade-I am truly loving it because I've never been able to grow shade plants before, so I agree, no trees are going anywhere. It is more of a problem after the trees have leaves, but the orientation of my house is also an issue. I have open areas on the NW and NE sides of the house-the NE exposure gets good morning sun but is pretty shady in the afternoon-not all bad in the summer heat-it might be OK. I'll have to give this some thought . . .
Thanks, all-
Deb

PS-I was just thinking this morning that the greenhouse neighbor has 2 planter boxes about 2x12 feet on each side of her front walk. I have never seen anything but weeds in them, so maybe she would accept planting them as partial payment for using the greenhouse . . .hmmm. I need to get finished with these 12 hr night shifts so I can go over and talk to her!

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

It kills me everytime I drive by greenhouses and sunrooms with nothing in them or used to store lawn furniture, and I keep thinking boy what I could only do with that space. It seems that many people get these things, sell the house and the next owner could care less about plants and uses it only for storage. I say try to make a deal of some kind with the owner; it could only benefit both of you.

Doug

Evergreen, CO

I think that the reason you see so many empty greenhouses is people buy them, and then realize how much work it is to control a greenhouse. Fans, humidity, heat, pests. If you do ask to rent this space be sure to investigate what you will need to add for plant happy environment.

Good luck!

Keith,

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Deb, have you talked to your neighbor yet, about using her greenhouse?

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

No, they've been gone. Hopefully this week-I saw a ar in their driveway when I got homefrom work this morning. I'll keep you posted!

Lake, MI

Deb,

I would talk to them about it. What is the worst that could happen they say no. Maybe they will be delighted that someone will be using it. It sure would look better with something in it than empty.

I have tried to teach my daughter about gardening and it got me know where. She bought my house and she has not watered a plant or pulled a weed. It breaks my heart. I have gotten my grandchildren to help me plant all sorts of things. It is good for them to learn. Maybe she is like my kid. So she may love the idea that is looks alive again.

You might get a good friend out of the deal and maybe she will sell it to you or heck who knows she might give it to you. Now that would be swell:)

Do let us know what they say please.

Good Luck

Amos

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

You know, they filled their greenhouse with junk after tearing some walls down in their house-what a waste! Anyway, DH has agreed to a new GH for me in place of a storage shed that's in semi sunny location in our yard-which is beter anyway!

Springfield, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey, just another thought for you. the largest problem I had with my green house, even with a large fan and venting, Is too much heat build up. I hear this from many green house owners. I had a 8x12 and we are looking at A much larger green house for our new (1927) victorian home, I have found the smaller green houses can be real hot boxes. What I'm thinking that might help you is to make the best of your trees. Be careful as to were you put your green house using some of your shade when the leaves do come out to protect yourself from the hot afternoon "hot box" effect.
I realize I'm in Tennessee and our summer sun can be long and harsh, but I read this complaint from mant differant zones.

Best of luck, let us know how your doing - Craig

This message was edited May 17, 2008 8:09 AM

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks like they need a shed, rather than a greenhouse.

You want a greenhouse, and can remove a shed.

Maybe a trade is in order. =)

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Funny! Though I don't think anyone would want my shed!!

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

They probably don't think anyone would want their greenhouse. =)

But, I know what you mean. Too bad. Guess you'll just have to get a brand new greenhouse.

*kicks dirt*

=)

Lake, MI

Deb,

How nice your hubby has decided that a greenhouse is in order for you.
Congratulations!!!!!

Now what kind are you thinking about getting?

I got my Rion Pro last month. It is not up yet Waitingt for DH to get a bob cat to level the site I am thinking of putting it. That is the most important part of getting my kit GH to go together easier I have read,plus I am waitng to see how much sun will be in different areas where I am thinking of putting it.
Like Craig said you have to think of the hot afternoon sun. so I guess it is worth waiting till I figure it out.

I have seen some really awsome GH's that people have built out of old windows and doorwalls. They are so cool. I know a few girlfriends that I would love to have their hubbys.They are so talented and creative. I wuld love to have them build me one. My DH is not that motivated to take on such a task. Oh well he bought me one so no complaints here.

Let us know what you end up getting ok?

Amos.

Winter Park, FL

Greetings all ..............

I am currently preparing to erect a 6 x 16 lean-to greenhouse in the only space I have available in my yard. Although I live in Florida - we get some nasty weather in the winter - and I have too many things that are cold sensative to take any more chances. I'm so tired of moving things in and out!

Shade cloth works wonders for cutting the heat in small structures. Go to www.GrowersSupply.com for the BEST catalogue of anything you will ever need relating to greenhouses. Their greenhouse prices are also the BEST in the market.

Years ago - when I lived in another state - my neighbors had a superb Lord & Burnham greenhouse. When they moved, and the new owners moved in - I gave them 2 weeks to get settled - and invited them to dinner at my house. Yeah ......... you know what I had in mind! I broached the greenhouse subject and asked if they were going to use it; they said they would probably get rid of it - at which point I said I'd be interested.

A day or two later they said they would like to trade it for a piece of furniture they saw at my house. (antique) Needless to say - once I made the arrangements for a crew to disassemble, move, and re-erect it - it was a "done deal". My total costs including the item traded were approximately 20% of the value of the greenhouse!

Deb ............ How much do you want it? You can always find room for a lean-to. Ask them if you can have it; offer to do some garden work in return. As others have said - you have nothing to lose. The worst they can do is tell you what they want in return! Best of luck .....

John

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions you guys! I'm currently talking with the planning commision to see what I need to do to make it all legal (unfortunately I live on a main street of town where everyone can see what I'm doing-we learned the hard way that we can't sneak anything by around here!)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Also, be CERTAIN to be VERY CLEAR that this is a GREENHOUSE, not a conservatory, or florida room, or enclosed porch, etc (fancy words for greenhouse). The right verbiage will save you monies on your property taxes.

In our area, when I built my greenhouse, they kept asking me if "this was living space," which raised a red flag for me. Now I know that you have to be careful how you label that space on the property assessment.

Living space cost $$$$$ on the taxes. A utility, lean-too type (as in NOT attached, even though it technically is) "Greenhouse" is not.

The zoning board years later decided to change the assessment on me, calling it an enclosed Florida room. I needed a lawyer to get them to change it back to the ORIGINAL description. I hate to be negative, but, those people will do anything to raise your tax rates.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.