Homegrown flowers for wedding

La Fayette, NY

Hi Everyone~ my neice is getting hitched 9/20/08. I'd like to grow flowers for her hand-tied bouqet, her maid's, and fresh cut bouqets for the tables. Her theme is green, & she likes simple & airy. I'm potting up white pine & balsam fir saplings as "favors". Her gown (gorgeous) is ivory w/celery green in the train & bodice.
Any recommendations for any of this? I'm in zone 5, central NY. I have fantastic soil, full sun, part shade, & full shade growing areas, and obviously I need fall-bloomers!
Thanks! Sharon

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Ferns grow easily and look nice as an accent. Will you be using any other color to break the green, or is it all different greens you're going for? - Lynn

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nicotiana langsdorfii looks great up your way in the Fall. I don't know if it's good for cutting though. Perhaps someone knows this plant? Green Envy zinnias would be very sturdy for tables and bouquets. Fall blooming hydrangeas (paniculatas) will, like most hydrangeas, start out green, go to creamy white and then color. If you could catch them young, they should work too. How much fun are you going to have!

Laurel

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

white cosmos?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

tuber roses scream wedding... mine were blooming last year until the end of sept

Thumbnail by onewish1
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Mother-in-law's tongue???

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This site has some nice ideas. http://www.fiftyflowers.com/search.php?search_val=green

Calla Lillies, Carnations, Bells of Ireland, baby's breath, chartreuse or other hosta leaves, grasses, berries, etc come to mind. Timing the bloom might be tricky. Mums should be pretty easy that time of year. Here's a list of late blooming perennials. http://gardening.about.com/od/gardendesign/a/FallBloomers.htm

Good luck!

La Fayette, NY

Rats--I just typed out a big long response to you guys, then clicked on the tuber rose to get a closer look, and lost my whole message! But anyway--great sugestions everybody! And I already have a lot of those plants, as well as pearly everlasting, stattice, nice hosta variety, gorgeous russian sage. Oooh! just had an idea--last year my annual white salvia was fantastic!
Onewish1, that tuber rose DOES scream wedding--I need more info on that one, esp. will it bloom in it's first year? Gotta go look that up, as well as mother-in-laws tongue (how appropriate, victorg!)
Going to check out the links now-thanks, I'll be back!-----Sharon (Shar)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Cone flowers and Dahlias are still blooming strong in Sept. too.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Yeah, both coneflowers and dahlias hold up well in bouquets, and I know there are some new coneflowers that are white with green centers--very cool-looking. I like the hydrangea idea--just make sure you cut the stems long enough. We used hydrangeas for my wedding, and the ones with stems at least 12 inches long did fine, but much shorter and they wilted. Maybe I'm crazy, there might be another trick to it, but that's how it seemed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.