Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

according to U of I.. my soil is..

FLANAGAN SERIES
Silty Loam
TAXONOMIC CLASS: Fine, smectitic, mesic Aquic Argiudolls

so what in the world is.. smectitic, mesic Aquic Argiudolls

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

A really radical new "girl group?"
I had Soils 101 ages ago but don't remember any of that- Silty Loam sounds pretty nice.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Since those terms are not found in the exact spellingsof the dictionary, this is as close as I can guess that they may be saying. That your sandy loam is made up of a fine white clay that retains moisture and is suitable for plantings that are adapted to a moist environment.

Quoting:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
smec·tic Audio Help /ˈsmɛktɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[smek-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective Physical Chemistry. (of liquid crystals) noting a mesomorphic state in which the arrangement of the molecules is in layers or planes.

Compare nematic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1665–75 for earlier sense “cleansing”; < L smécticus < Gk sméktikós, equiv. to smékt(ós) smeared, verbid of smchein to wash out, clean + -tikos -tic]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
smectic

To learn more about smectic visit Britannica.com

© 2008 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This smec·tic Audio Help (směk'tĭk) Pronunciation Key
adj. Of or relating to the mesomorphic phase of a liquid crystal in which molecules are closely aligned in a distinct series of layers, with the axes of the molecules lying perpendicular to the plane of the layers.

The American Heritage Science Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This mesic Audio Help (měz'ĭk, měs'-, mē'zĭk, -sĭk) Pronunciation Key
Relating or adapted to a moderately moist habitat. The sugar maple, white ash, and basswood are mesic plants.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This ar·gil Audio Help (är'jĭl) Pronunciation Key
n. Clay, especially a white clay used by potters.

[Middle English argilla, from Latin, from Greek argillos; see arg- in Indo-European roots.]

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This argil

noun
a white clay (especially a white clay used by potters)

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
Argil

Ar"gil, n. [F. argile, L. argilla white clay, akin to Gr. ? or ? argil, ? white. See Argent.] (Min.) Clay, or potter's earth; sometimes pure clay, or alumina. See Clay. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

But this is just a wild guess at best! Too bad they didn't speak English on that report or at least use terms that are recognized by our dictionaries!

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

Interesting question. I'm no soil scientist but you can see that soil science is, well, a science, and is highly technical. Zanymuse points in the right direction with those definitions. Here is what I found on the two sites below:

Flanagan series - ..."deep, somewhat poorly drained soils that formed in loess or other silty material..."
Loess - "material transported and deposited by wind ... silt-sized particles."
Silt - "mineral particles 0.05 to 0.005 mm" (A big grain of sand is about 2 mm)
Loam - "contains 7-27% clay, 28-50% silt, less than 52% sand"
Smectitic - smectite refers to the structure of silicates in the soil (also see Zany)
Aquic - Refers to soil so saturated it has almost no oxygen
Arguidolls - I think this refers to clay in the soil (as Zany found)

To summarize I think they are saying you have fine soil that tends to become water-logged. Does that sound like your soil?

Here’s a glossary of soil science terms:
https://www.soils.org/sssagloss/
Especially helpful might be the entry for “soil texture”

From a USDA site: Flanagan series (this might be what they sent you)
http://ortho.ftw.nrcs.usda.gov/osd/dat/F/FLANAGAN.html

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah pretty much sums it up.. very deep rich prairie soil the ends up waterlogged.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.