First clematis, ID please :-)

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey. This is my first clematis. I bought it for my husband a couple of years ago, before I was into labeling things. It's bloomed before, but not this big! This lavender bloom is about 7.5 inches wide, tip to tip. Will someone please ID it for me?

It blooms in the early spring (now) and stops blooming in about a month or so I guess. How and when can I trim this? Does it bloom on new or old wood?

Thanks for your help!

Thumbnail by 3gardeners
(Zone 4a)

Wow that is just beautiful!!! Look at the size of that flower and the colour is just stunning!!! I wish I could help you out however I am not good with plant ID's......I know someone will be around soon to help you out!!! I can't wait to hear what it is - I might just have to get one of those!!!

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Well, I looked around the site a bit since I'm very new to clematis, and I think this is 'H F Young'. I suppose it is very common, but I love it. I'll try to figure out this 1, 2, and 3 pruning business. Sounds very complicated.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I have no idea what it is but it's a beauty!! Sinse it's blooming now, I'd say it's a group 2 which means you prune it lightly in very early spring when the forsythia bloom. Then when it finishes blooming this time around prune it about a 3rd and it'll bloom again. At each pruning, give it some fertilizer.
Hope someone can ID it for you.

Debbie

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow! I hope that is the group it is in! I've never pruned it, so I've never gotten a 2nd round of flowers. What a surprise bonus!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The pruning it again as Baja suggested is not necessarily for it to get more blooms but for it to focus on getting a stronger roots system..hoping you never have to suffer from wilt..once a pruning group 2 makes it past its 3rd year in your garden..rarely will it suffer from wilt.....it looks like Clematis "H.F.Young" to me as well...it is a pruning group 2 ..Here is a recent pic of mine for you to compare for yourself...Jeanne

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.